Douglas Fir style

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello,

I recently did some structural pruning on this Christmas tree Douglas fir, keeping in line with Herons Bonsai's video (source) about the topic and ended up with this (attached). I am REALLY happy about the base I discovered, but ai don't know how to further style it or if any additional pruning is needed or how to go about it. It seems like all of the places I could trim to get more "separation" with the foliage is the place of new growth, and I don't want to be too harsh after the structural pruning. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_114150153.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220622_114150153.MP.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It’s hard to see from the image, but I would try to arrange the branches so they go radially around the tree, not just to the sides. In terms of foliage, l personally wouldn’t take more off. Perhaps drop the branches more…if you are going for an alpine look.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since you asked for suggestions, here are a couple:

-Consider wiring the branches down. This will allow them to appear to be closer to the trunk.
-I would finish styling the top portion of the tree, bringing those branches down also.
-Consider removing lower branches that are likely too leggy to contribute to final design.
-Consider wiring out the secondary and tertiary branches to form flat pads. For the same purpose, remove downward and upward growing shoots (sometimes :) )

Nice base!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any suggestions?

Realize the paradoxical nature of your handle and how this is impeding your progress.

I'd wire one of the first branches up and fix the impatience, which can lead to growth, which can lead to more patience waiting for something to come about from just that wired up first branch.

Usually, when the result of a styling looks more like something an old school telephone worker would get nostalgic over than a tree, a complete overhaul becomes the sanest next step.

Next steps can be decades away, more likely 5 years in this case.

I am REALLY happy about the base I discovered

Try not to end up really sad by not doing it justice.

Sorce

Top Bottom