Douglas Fir

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg Spent the afternoon working on this Douglas Fir. Collected in 2010, height is 26" and trunk is 2.5" above the base. Brought it inside for a pic and can take better ones tomorrow if there is interest.

Patrik

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 101040 Spent the afternoon working on this Douglas Fir. Collected in 2010, height is 26" and trunk is 2.5" above the base. Brought it inside for a pic and can take better ones tomorrow if there is interest.

Patrik
I would like to see a better pic please Sir.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Steve. Worked on it from 4-9pm yesterday and it's getting dark now. I'll take a couple tomorrow and post em up here. I like this tree quite a bit now. Most of my trees are powerful and/or quirky, so this is a bit more elegant to me. Thanks.

Patrik

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Douglas fir seem to make nice bonsai from what ive seen. I think this one looks a bit tall for the trunk. Though it does look kinda elegant and with foliage closer to the trunk could turn out very nice.
I must admid, i would be tempted to do something like this though, pretty obvious maybe but anywayz.
image.jpg

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Steve, here's a few pic that (at least) aren't so dark and fuzzy.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Djtommy, I had considered that, but enjoying the tree for now. I decided that can always happen down the road... For now, I'm chasing the foliage back and by the looks of the current buds, I should be able to tighten this up quite a bit in the fall. Also allowing the main apex to grow freely as well as a mini apex over primary branch. A more appropriate pot would also help the overall image. Thanks for the virt.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Steve, here's a few pic that (at least) aren't so dark and fuzzy.View attachment 101168 View attachment 101169 View attachment 101170 Djtommy, I had considered that, but enjoying the tree for now. I decided that can always happen down the road... For now, I'm chasing the foliage back and by the looks of the current buds, I should be able to tighten this up quite a bit in the fall. Also allowing the main apex to grow freely as well as a mini apex over primary branch. A more appropriate pot would also help the overall image. Thanks for the virt.
Good one!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that first trunk....

To me...

It's a twist on the "mother daughter" thing....but where the mom is real short...or maybe it's even an old grandpa, then the grandson, though younger, grew taller....but you can tell he is not as wise...
Cuz he lost branches and is looking the young fool....long ass stupid neck....lol.
I mean that in a good way!
This makes sense to me!

It can only get better with time IMO.

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Patrik do you get the Cooley Spruce Gall Adeligids and needle cast (rhabdocline) on your Doug Firs?
Both of them are really prevalent here, I will have to take control measures more seriously someday if I want pristine green needles without blotches.
I hit the Adeligids harder and earlier than usual with pesticidal soap last year. That took care of them nicely but then needle cast was worse than normal. The soap may have removed some protective oils from the young emerging needles making them more vulnerable. Anyways wondering if you have to take measures against these things?
Nice tree.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wire,
Yes, more with needle cast than galls. I proactively treat all needle conifers with Daconil concentrate at recommended dosage. Don't get the pre mixed stuff as even application is difficult with that consistency and supplied spray bottle (comes out in a stream, plus better value with concentrated). I apply as new needles are emerging, and again in a few weeks. I used to use cleary 3336 pellets, but it didn't protect against needle cast.
I do not proactively apply any pesticide, only if there is a problem observed.

Patrik

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that first trunk....

To me...

It's a twist on the "mother daughter" thing....but where the mom is real short...or maybe it's even an old grandpa, then the grandson, though younger, grew taller....but you can tell he is not as wise...
Cuz he lost branches and is looking the young fool....long ass stupid neck....lol.
I mean that in a good way!
This makes sense to me!

It can only get better with time IMO.

Sorce
Sorce,
I get what you're selling. I like it. And, thanks.

Patrik

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the natural taper and mature bark on this fir. I would comsider cutting it above the second branch on the right. It would make a nice alpine or windswept tree with lots of drama. Planting on a rock or slab may help the illusion too.

Top Bottom