Douglas Maple

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Acer Glabrum.

Haven't seen one here yet, I have a stump and a seedling. They leafed out way ahead of my other maples.
Pretty leaves, pretty flowers in spring.
I was a bit too rambunctious pruning the upper stems on the stump when I collected it last year, oh well..,

They like to grow as multistemmed bushy things, usually long skinny trunks.
They grow also in the PNW maybe someone out there has collected some nice ones?

Anyone else growing them?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
oooooooooooooooooo i like the shape of that trunk ya got, too bad ive never heard of that type of maple so my curiosity has been peaked! im wondering how fast it'll come along for you, keep it updated

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Gee Wireme, funny you should post this. I wasn't planning on posting mine as there isn't much to see. I got 5 "super stock" seedlings. 3 were planted out in the property. One I did a good root pruning on. The second was just slip potted. I'm just planning on letting them grow and see what happens. The little I've heard about Douglas Maples in bonsai culture was not encouraging. As you noted, lots of skinny little stems. Last pic is of some Vine Maple hardwood cuttings this spring. Looks like they are starting to strike.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those stems would look like a new forest if they were in the same pot.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lots too choice from here but the long internodes are discouraging.......they are hardy and root like crazy..... But after a number of years..... I decided to stick to vine maples....although I haven't been able to reduce leaf size YET......
G.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @wireme, how did this species work out for you?
I picked up a really promising one today and I’m just learning about its nuances
Hi Rivka.
Well, kind of hard to say. It’s one of those trees that is simply growing in a pot to be looked at someday. I need to repot it to see how the base is looking in order to plan design really.

It’s a multi stem clump. I have noticed that some of the thicker trunks that I have cut back for taper just died back rather than backbud…

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Rivka.
Well, kind of hard to say. It’s one of those trees that is simply growing in a pot to be looked at someday. I need to repot it to see how the base is looking in order to plan design really.

It’s a multi stem clump. I have noticed that some of the thicker trunks that I have cut back for taper just died back rather than backbud…
Any rhyme or reason you can find for some dying back and others backbudding?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bump this thread @wireme.
Acer Glabrum (douglasii)
Had this barely alive stump for a few years and it’s slowly coming along. A rescue from the banks of a logging road. Will need to treat the deadwood as it rots fast.
Main branches need a lot more growth and keeping movement is a challenge, as they love to grow straight with long internodes.

Attachments

• 8650D189-61B6-46CA-B5E4-2D8A388FA27B.jpeg
    8650D189-61B6-46CA-B5E4-2D8A388FA27B.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 17A4C194-EB7B-488E-BD1B-82C1B2D71EEB.jpeg
    17A4C194-EB7B-488E-BD1B-82C1B2D71EEB.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 32

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a