DR Bonsai tables

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I found that page sometime last week. There is a huge amount of work and craftsmanship in that table!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this on FB as well, it kinda looks like a stand, on a stand. It looks well done, but not a style that is attractive to me.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The craftsmanship is excellent from the picture...
Not my flavor though...
Too busy, takes away from the tree....

Edit:
I can imagine myself at a bonsai show, staring at that stand, completely ignoring a tree on it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The craftsmanship is excellent from the picture...
Not my flavor though...
Too busy, takes away from the tree....

Edit:
I can imagine myself at a bonsai show, staring at that stand, completely ignoring a tree on it.

Agreed and tbh, and I hesitate to be critical because I make stands myself, but there are lots of busy, complex stands out there that are beautiful and complement complex trees nicely. This one is somehow just odd in its design and composition, to me at least, which would be why I’d stare at it along with admiring the workmanship. Others on that page are quite minimalist, in contrast. And then there is one that has the “cloud lift” stringers upside down for some reason, which very much doesn’t work for me. Strange.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Legs on this one look like elephants. I'd try it with something tropical, with aerial roots.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I agree, tons of outstanding craftsmanship which I too respect.
However I also think it'd probably get more attention than the tree.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Bonsai (like all art, I'm sure) is funny in that taste is subjective, but there are definitely rules. Rules can be broken but to do so successfully, you need to really know what you're doing (and some folks will still hate it). My eye is so untrained that I'm still trying to learn the rules, especially when it gets to display accessories that "distract" from the tree.

This is all preamble to asking what folks think about this other image off the same page. It's a different stand, but actually part of a display. I, personally, like the display*, but I'd love to hear from anyone who doesn't (hopefully with some hints as to why).

27657856_160449354633383_1545178416440234834_n.jpg
(tree is by Kevin Knapen, Noelanders 2018)

*Now that I look at it again, I don't think that the accent does anything for the overall display and would prefer the image with the accent cropped out. The color of the pot seems like a decent complement but the color and shape of the plant don't seem to either complement or contrast with the tree.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
That is one stand I quite liked. A bit of a unique take on a fairly traditional design but not too quirky. That is a birch there isn’t it? Impressive.

I’m learning myself that not all designs one can conceive of in the mind or even on paper always work out quite right in the end. So I try to hesitate to criticize. But that could be exactly what he was looking for. The comment regarding elephants made me realize it has a south-east Asian feel to it, which may be why it isn’t sitting quite right with me.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
To me...the stand is a good match. The problem with the accent, as much as anything else, is that the color of the pot is similar to the bonsai pot. And should be closer to the tree. But I'd prefer it not be there at all.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well first.....for the work it took, I like this stand....but it ends there. It should be symmetrical.
Too many details already for it to be "directional".

what folks think
27657856_160449354633383_1545178416440234834_n.jpg

I know how hard it is to set up a show.....
But straight away I can't stand when trees reach over the background board.

A white tablecover changes this whole display.

The white spot on the tree is distracting, looks like a dog in A sweater, a little dirt goes a long way.

With the blue cloth, the stand is too light.
A darker stand changes Everything.

Stand pot tree....light dark light...
Distracting.

The hand the tree is reaching out to the accent with stops short.
And the accent flows straight up as if to say..."well fuck you anyway".
Uncomfortable.

It's not the round stand, but the rounded legs under the edgy pot that kill that flow.

With no stand....the top of the tree is below the backboard, and the falling, weeping feeling of gravity can be accented by a flat moss rug.

I kinda like all the part individually, but not together.

IM big fat O!

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Omg Sorce who peed in your Cheerios? However you are dead right about it all of course. Great read! ?

I will add that while the stand is nice by itself, the way the legs come in underneath it makes it visually much smaller than the size of its top suggests. Meaning that it is too small for this particular tree and looks unstable.

Top Bottom