Drainage layers. Do you use?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I always have. Theory being that if ANYTHING decomposes, plugs up, goes bad,.......SOME water will make it to
a layer of coarse non organic chunks and migrate ....sideways if necessary.... and at least the bottom will get wet.

Judging from how roots will escape a pot for water, there's a good chance they will find a drainage layer to sneak into.

Maybe.

Correct me if you disagree. :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right to some and wrong to others, like almost everything else.
I use a drainage layer only in deep pots for cascades and semi-cascades.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not in bonsai pots - but I may try @ABCarve's method for faster growing things in the future (hard prune the roots of forsythia in the spring and you might need to repot again in August...).

I do in Anderson flats and nursery pots, but just so the smaller particles don't fall out.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I never heard this until a few years ago.
I do not do this. There are times in shohin or name where I might put a fine layer on top but it never stays there long. Usually I just go for a consistent mix.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many drainage holes needed first then add drainage of coarsest pumice not used after sifting. Believe have seen Ryan Neil use in repotting videos so not bad idea;).

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
You’d be better using washed river sand or similar than a course pumice/ gravel etc if you really want a “drainage layer”

The problem with using a larger aggregate is that smaller material just clogs up the gaps and you end up with a more dense material, and therefore less drainage than because the remainder of the material is solid.

I speak from an engineering perspective, not a horticultural perspective. ie I am not making a comment on what is best for the plant, just that it isn’t a drainage layer.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
no drainage layer. The more uniform the particle size the better the media breathes and allows water through. This holds true regardless the size or depth of the pot. In tall cascade pots I have filled the lower layer (half) with coarse media, then put a piece of screen to keep the media separate, then filled the upper half with the media the roots will actually be growing in. This was for tall Chinese style cascade pots. Current fashion in cascade pots is roughly a cube, and then use a stand. Here I use a uniform media.

Reaction score
Will never use in bonsai pots (except for a tall cascade pot).
Starter material grown in standard plastic pots...yes.
Starter material grown in squat pots...no.
I tip my pots sideways to drain and it fully disperses the excess water in the soil...whether its been lifted in the pot, due to drainage material, or not.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In tall cascade pots I have filled the lower layer (half) with coarse media, then put a piece of screen to keep the media separate, then filled the upper half with the media the roots will actually be growing in.
This is precisely what I have done.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess if I had a really deep cascade pot or even a semi cascade, I might put some larger material in the bottom

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
no drainage layer. The more uniform the particle size the better the media breathes and allows water through. This holds true regardless the size or depth of the pot. In tall cascade pots I have filled the lower layer (half) with coarse media, then put a piece of screen to keep the media separate, then filled the upper half with the media the roots will actually be growing in. This was for tall Chinese style cascade pots. Current fashion in cascade pots is roughly a cube, and then use a stand. Here I use a uniform media.
Your point about a uniform particle size is really is really the key issue.

Look up rock density by particle size. It makes no difference.

If people are using “drainage layers” why, other than it “seems like a good idea”?

It sounds to me, even if you use a screen to separate the growing medium and presumably the roots from the “drainage layer”, what purpose does it serve?

Once the roots have taken up the whole pot or to the point of the “drainage layer” it needs to be repotted.

Top Bottom