Drainage mesh size

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I now use plaster (drywall) tape. Mesh is about the same size as flyscreen mesh (mosquito mesh?). Comes in convenient 50mm wide roll. Easy to cut to length fibreglass mesh. Very cheap and easily available at most hardware stores. Just use pruning scissors to snip off enough to cover the holes. I have not seen it clog.
Glad to find out I'm not the only one. I had a huge roll in the garage and it seemed like a good use for it. So far seems to be working well enough..

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I now use plaster (drywall) tape.
Damn...now you tell me...after all the repotting I just did and scrambling around for mesh... 🥴
Why didn't I think of that myself. You just made my bonsai journey much easier going forward mate. Once stuck on there it should last many seasons. Thanks @Shibui

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just use vinyl screen door mesh - is that what we’re calling mosquito mesh? It’s like $8 US for a roll of it which will probably last me my whole life...

Reaction score
Damn...now you tell me...after all the repotting I just did and scrambling around for mesh... 🥴
Why didn't I think of that myself. You just made my bonsai journey much easier going forward mate. Once stuck on there it should last many seasons. Thanks @Shibui
Still think the rigid/semi-rigid needlepoint plastic mesh would be better though.
Comes in various spacings so larger or smaller holes to suit your choices, various colors including clear, dirt cheap and available everywhere including Hobby Lobby and Walmart as well as being in different weights for lighter or heavier duty applications. Is a godsend with houseplants. I have recommended it for years

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still think the rigid/semi-rigid needlepoint plastic mesh would be better though.
Comes in various spacings so larger or smaller holes to suit your choices, various colors including clear, dirt cheap and available everywhere including Hobby Lobby and Walmart as well as being in different weights for lighter or heavier duty applications. Is a godsend with houseplants. I have recommended it for years
I've always used the plastic mesh. Nothing wrong with it, but this is soooo much better...and easier for me. I ran and bought a roll....Sellotape make. Cut a strip, stick it on and that's it. Perfect hole size to. I'm sold on this.
IMG_20200903_135813.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Maybe not as common in Brazil?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I had a bunch of 1/8” galv. hardware cloth sitting around that wasn’t regular (squares cut out around edges. No I don’t know why, I scavenged it somewhere! 😜) I’ve been cutting more squares off of it and been using it over a year now so far with no problems.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Why didn't I think of that myself. You just made my bonsai journey much easier going forward mate. Once stuck on there it should last many seasons.
The glue is not particularly sticky. It will adhere to a new, dry pot but does not stick on dirty, used or damp ones. That does not really matter. Just sit it in place and add a layer of mix to hold it down. As long as you don't wiggle the tree round too much it tends to stay in place.
By the time you go to repot the roots will be all through and round the mesh. They will have lifted it off the pot and grown all round. I have never bothered to try to recover the pieces. A new bit is so much easier and quicker.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just buy the plastic sheets they sell for needlepoint in the craft section at Wal-mart. Super cheap.
It's referred to as "plastic canvas". You can actually get it for larger needlepoint thread.

Top Bottom