Drastic cutback on a Yaupon holly....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All my collected Yaupon's need to be repotted, I got this one finished over the weekend. I went ahead and did a drastic cutback as well. The training pot was full of roots. One down two to go. I'll tackle another one this weekend, I'm not sure I will cut it back near as heavy as I did the other one....?

Before.....
DSC04663.JPG

After.....
spring-2016%2B016.jpg

DSC04809.JPG

This is the one I'm not sure just how heavy I want to cut it back....Any opinions welcome.
DSC04806.JPG

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04796.JPG

Brian

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have quite a few. I've never cut one back quite so hard but johng does with success. Looking forward to seeing it in a few months. They're both very nice material for sure.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my collected Yaupon's need to be repotted, I got this one finished over the weekend. I went ahead and did a drastic cutback as well. The training pot was full of roots. One down two to go. I'll tackle another one this weekend, I'm not sure I will cut it back near as heavy as I did the other one....?

Before.....
DSC04663.JPG

After.....
spring-2016%2B016.jpg

DSC04809.JPG

This is the one I'm not sure just how heavy I want to cut it back....Any opinions welcome.
DSC04806.JPG

DSC04794.JPG

DSC04796.JPG

Brian
Be sure to take good care of the exposed wood, it gets soft fast!
Looking great!

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I should have added blue dye to the waterproof wood glue I used as cut paste.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure what kind or even if it's a good idea to use....I read it somewhere a few years ago that it made for an OK cut paste. I'll post a pic of the bottle this afternoon.

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure what kind or even if it's a good idea to use....I read it somewhere a few years ago that it made for an OK cut paste. I'll post a pic of the bottle this afternoon.

Brian
Brian, swing by Home Depot and pick up a block of Duct Seal, in the electric aisle. Costs less then 3 bucks and works great, staying soft unlike the glue which may get so hard it won't allow the callus to roll across the wound. I tried plumber's putty on a maple but didn't like the results. This stuff works much better.
duct seal.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would cut back the second one just as hard as you cut back the first one, find a nice trunk line with some tape, and build all new branches on ther trunk, using pliable new branches you can wire and add some shape to. Long stovepipe sections don't contribute to good bonsai. Here's one I cut back almost hard enough...
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/09/26/ilex-crenata-draft/
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/yangon-holly-part-3/
Jonas has a great one with incredible refinement for an ilex, check his out.
http://bonsaitonight.com/tag/yaupon-holly/

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Brian, swing by Home Depot and pick up a block of Duct Seal, in the electric aisle. Costs less then 3 bucks and works great, staying soft unlike the glue which may get so hard it won't allow the callus to roll across the wound. I tried plumber's putty on a maple but didn't like the results. This stuff works much better.
View attachment 97143

I use the same stuff, it is great. I think that it is the exact same stuff in the little tubs from Japan that you pay 20.00 for. I have also used latex caulk with good results and it is available in tons of colors. Just squirt a little in a jar that you can reseal, use a chop stick or your finger to apply.

John

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the tip Dave....I'll pick some up before I do anymore pruning.

Brian I'll think long and hard about cutting the next one back like I did the other one.....I know you are right just not sure I can make the right calls about an apex....I took a quick look at it tonight and I just don't see a good place to start. I'll post some pics after it's repotted.

Brian

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm following this one as I just came into a couple of these this week. Chopped and potted one and the other may go into the ground while I learn more about what they like.

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20160308_112420154.jpg
    IMG_20160308_112420154.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20160309_185723907.jpg
    IMG_20160309_185723907.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 32

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice dig....But I think you have a different kind of Holly there....?

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I repotted the other Yaupon today....I didn't cut it back like I should have, instead I just trimmed most of the growth in hopes to induce some ramification. The training box was full of healthy roots much like the other one. I clamped this one down to cut the root ball and the saws-all worked like a charm. This is the only tree I have that even looks close to what a bonsai is supposed to be.

Re-potting-Yaupon-Holly-2%2B001.jpg
Re-potting-Yaupon-Holly-2%2B003.jpg
Re-potting-Yaupon-Holly-2%2B010.jpg
Re-potting-Yaupon-Holly-2%2B015.jpg

Brian

Top Bottom