Drastic re-style of my first collected tree. A pitiful tree at that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Jins that have dried out and no longer have sap, can be bent by steaming. Wrap with wet paper towel. wrap paper towel in aluminum foil. With a propane torch, heat the aluminum foil until the water in the paper towel turns to steam. The wood will become flexible as the steam penetrates the wood. Bend to position.

You can wire it before you steam bend, then wrap it wire and all, steam bend, then the wire will hold it until it dries out and sets.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AndyJ this is the other one. A lot of people will pass this thread up since it's a pretty basic tree, titled too humbly, or worse.

Where @MHBonsai focus thread uses the "next tree down", this one uses the "next tree up".

Both equally hard to commit to, but totally worth it afterwards. People keep stuff on trees for sentimental reason too much. And it starts with their being too proud to have useless backbuds in the first place.

Cut that bullshit off and get on!

This "next tree" idea, is applicable to everything.

As in the case with this tree, the "next" one is almost surely not going to be fully realized in our lifetime, but @Hartinez grandchildren will have something great on their hands!

Sorce

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
71DCD214-D10C-4E67-A595-5C0A075F8515.jpeg
59DCE152-15C1-45DB-B8DE-75B32EA4A694.jpeg
quite a bit of new growth since the re style. Something I’m finding on this tree is that it’s foliage always grows lanky and weepy. I had always tried to “correct” this but have decided to encourage that habit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was wiring the jin at the top necessary?
Sure looks like it was. It didn't get those nice curves by itself. A fresh jin, like a live branch, responds well to wiring. If its not where you want it or it has a defect that can be corrected, wiring a jin is just like wiring a branch.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure looks like it was. It didn't get those nice curves by itself. A fresh jin, like a live branch, responds well to wiring. If its not where you want it or it has a defect that can be corrected, wiring a jin is just like wiring a branch.
Yeah, I’m glad I wired out all of the jins. Did not have to leave the wire on before being able to remove it. all held as they should. This tree will look a lot better once I can Jin some of the branches that cross amongst the greenery. Give it a more rugged feel I think.

Top Bottom