Drilling pots

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Store recommending these bits to drill ceramic pots.think they should work or just break one more pot. Wanted a smaller size for tie down holes but couldn't fine.Screenshot_20200526-174009_Gallery.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done this and never broke a pot. I put pot in sink on a towel, stream of continuous cold water, drill very slowly letting it slowly grind through, especially at end so that it dosent chip out.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Store recommending these bits to drill ceramic pots.think they should work or just break one more pot. Wanted a smaller size for tie down holes but couldn't fine.View attachment 305313
They should work, make a dam around the area to be drilled, that way you can drill slow with water and it works way better. Cut paste makes a good temporary dam that can be re-used! Slower speed is more effective and less pressure required. If you intend to do a lot of it then go to an industrial tool supplier for glass shops! here is the type I used for drilling aquariums for filter pipes and bulkheads. Now it works great for ceramic pots.
Also a picture of the dam I suggested and similar type drills.

Attachments

• professional drill.jpeg
    professional drill.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 56
  • mock setup.jpeg
    mock setup.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 58
  • drill samples.jpeg
    drill samples.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 67

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought a set of diamond coated hole saws from Harbor Freight, but I can't bring it up online now. If there's one nearby, got look for a set. ~1/8 to 3/4" or something like that, maybe 8 or 10 pieces.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a set of diamond coated hole saws from Harbor Freight, but I can't bring it up online now. If there's one nearby, got look for a set. ~1/8 to 3/4" or something like that, maybe 8 or 10 pieces.
I tried those and found them good for two or three holes, but wear out quickly in my experience! They work ok in softer Terra Cotta pots. If you want to do very many then I would look for better quality.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Typical of tools from Harbor Freight.
hey dont knock them they sell $1 bonsai scissors that hurt my hands to use. Nothing a little electrical tape can't fix though.

Attachments

• 20200526_215407.jpg
    20200526_215407.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 56

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I tried those and found them good for two or three holes, but wear out quickly in my experience! They work ok in softer Terra Cotta pots. If you want to do very many then I would look for better quality.
Then you did it wrong. There is no tool in the universe that will not be destroyed by the heat generated, and they all will last a reasonable number of cycles if the tool never overheats. You need to use them under water. Put the object in a pan of water so the bit is always underwater and stays cool.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You rate them too highly. Used properly or otherwise, Harbor Freight makes cheap ass tools. I do know several people that use them though. Mostly contractors that use them and wear them out or break them and buy another.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One more tip: if you're not using a drill press, start at a slight angle to get an edge started and slowly move up to vertical, or you'll just be skipping around scratching the whole thing up.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Then you did it wrong. There is no tool in the universe that will not be destroyed by the heat generated, and they all will last a reasonable number of cycles if the tool never overheats. You need to use them under water. Put the object in a pan of water so the bit is always underwater and stays cool.
Nope, you assumed and did not bother to read my first post carefully. I am experienced with drills and diamond bits, using rubber dams to provide fluid for heat dissipation or simple directed pump streams. Harbour Freight are just lower quality bit sets and do not last as long. Hence the cheap price! Thin lines of diamond dust coated on cheaper metal. I have bits from industrial suppliers that have drilled hundreds of holes.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope, you assumed and did not bother to read my first post carefully. I am experienced with drills and diamond bits, using rubber dams to provide fluid for heat dissipation or simple directed pump streams. Harbour Freight are just lower quality bit sets and do not last as long. Hence the cheap price! Thin lines of diamond dust coated on cheaper metal. I have bits from industrial suppliers that have drilled hundreds of holes.
Everything in the world has a variety of price points and people choose what is cost effective, to them. How many holes is the average bonsaiist going to drill with his $12 set of 10 sizes? Maybe 20 over a lifetime? That is not comparable to using a commercial quality single bit in an industrial situation. They don't even use diamond tipped drills much anymore in this age of EDM, water jet, and Laser cutting. Yes, Harbor Freight sells cheap tools for people who want to do a few of this or that. Here, we are limited to what is, not what is the very best money can buy. How much should they pay, and maybe you'd like to post a link to what you are offering as a better option?

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
With the C-19 lockdown, I'm doing my shopping online. The delivery driver and I are now planning a cruise for Thanksgiving. Anyway, my bits are on the way since I can't go to Harbor Freight even if I were inclined.

Following everyone's advice, in addition, I was also wondering about putting some blue masking tape on both sides of where I will be drilling (handheld drill) to reduce the bit from wandering. Does anyone see a problem? I don't know if it will make a meaningful difference, but just a thought.

TIA

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With the C-19 lockdown, I'm doing my shopping online. The delivery driver and I are now planning a cruise for Thanksgiving. Anyway, my bits are on the way since I can't go to Harbor Freight even if I were inclined.

Following everyone's advice, in addition, I was also wondering about putting some blue masking tape on both sides of where I will be drilling (handheld drill) to reduce the bit from wandering. Does anyone see a problem? I don't know if it will make a meaningful difference, but just a thought.

TIA
Mostly, it's a matter the object not skiddering away from the bits and you are keeping the drill in the same place and at the same attitude, (as stated before) AND, you starting the hole slowly and lightly so a beginning path can wear into the surface that will guide the tool after that. It's a whole lot easier on a drill press.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

TIA
Masking tape helps to reduce chipping in a wood drilling situation for sure. Often used that in cabinet making! also clamping a salvage piece on top to get started as the edge tends to break away easier.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Indeed i e used similar bits for aquarium glass drilling and as the store recommendation need to cool it by either spraying water on it or making a dam and filling water and going with slow rotation speed..... will try them and see.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Forsoothe! www.crlaurence.ca or in the USA www.crlaurence.com. They are based in California I believe but sell world wide! This is a picture of the product I prefer referred to as CRL EDD Series. Standard Diamond Tube Drills. Recommend sizes 1" and up for drainage holes in Bonsai containers. Just for this picture the one I grabbed first is 1 3/4 in diameter! This size and quality is rated for 150-200 holes, then can be dressed for renewed use! They also have an inexpensive re-coat program.IMG_0400 2.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forsoothe! www.crlaurence.ca or in the USA www.crlaurence.com. They are based in California I believe but sell world wide! This is a picture of the product I prefer referred to as CRL EDD Series. Standard Diamond Tube Drills. Recommend sizes 1" and up for drainage holes in Bonsai containers. Just for this picture the one I grabbed first is 1 3/4 in diameter! This size and quality is rated for 150-200 holes, then can be dressed for renewed use! They also have an inexpensive re-coat program.View attachment 305425
What's the price? I don't want to sign in to open a new account, so tell me the price. And for the rest of our listeners, raise your hand if you want to drill 200 holes 1 3/4" dia?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What's the price? I don't want to sign in to open a new account, so tell me the price. And for the rest of our listeners, raise your hand if you want to drill 200 holes 1 3/4" dia?
First, I clearly stated the 1 3/4 was the first one I found on the shelf. I believe I also previously explained I used the set for glass aquarium bulkheads. 1 3/4 is a common hole through size for saltwater system bulkheads. I also mentioned 1 inch or better for drain holes in Bonsai pots.
And seeing as you asked so nicely!

The ones I use for drainage vary from 3/4 inch in very small pots to 1 1/2 inch in larger pots. The centre holes typically being larger and side holes a bit smaller at times. If I wish to add wire holes I typically use a 3/8 inch bit. I purchased a fairly extensive set with the stand alone drill system some time ago so, do not know the current pricing! If I recall correctly the smaller bits (1 inch) were in the $20 range.

I retired some time ago so no longer maintain an account with CR Laurence. So unfortunately I cannot just sign on and give you the current pricing. But all the information is available if you are interested enough to pick up the phone and ask one of their dealers. Another option would be to ask your buddy at the local glass shop to inquire and or order one for you;)
Or just stick with Harbour Freight as you are happy with those ones!

Top Bottom