Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anyone ever attempt to containerize and style a drimys lanceolata? I really like Madrone and manzanita for their red bark and evergreen aspects, but this plant seems perhaps easier to keep in a garden in the PNW.

Come Spring I’ll try to get a first design and prune in. Any ideas are welcome of course. Right now it is super lanky.

Attachments

• 7DD703E9-4C4D-4E82-A441-ED1855A0DA87.jpeg
    7DD703E9-4C4D-4E82-A441-ED1855A0DA87.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 51

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had a Drymis alpina

I was trying to grow it as an outside for summer, under lights for winter sub-tropical like a Ficus. It failed to survived the under lights phase. But that is because I took time off, and it went a few too many days between being watered. I love the fragrance of the bark and roots when I would handle or work with it. Never did well enough to flower or set seen. Species with culinary ? medicinal uses are always a fascination for me. Alas, I no longer have one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

choufleur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Did you try potting up the Drimys? I have a few but found it to be quite brittle, prone to breakage with a dry bark. It’s budded back well though after chopping and seems to take root pruning without much stress. I’ve been keeping them as container shrubs because it seems like I’ll be better off chopping then styling the newer flexible growth.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone ever attempt to containerize and style a drimys lanceolata? I really like Madrone and manzanita for their red bark and evergreen aspects, but this plant seems perhaps easier to keep in a garden in the PNW.
Any relationship? Does bark stay orange or turn gray as on yours?

Top Bottom