Driveway collected white alder (Alnus rhombifolia)

choate_t_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello. I am a very new bonsai afficionado (think weeks). My neighbor was going to cut down this white alder from his gravel driveway. I asked if I could dig it up and have it. It's probably about 4 years old? At least 4 feet tall.

23.04b.jpg

After I got it out (the roots were very shallow) I brought it back to the potting area and looked it over. The roots weren't very pretty.

23.04n.jpg

I decided to cut out the root going right, though it ended up being pretty fused together.

Then I did a drastic chop (18 inches now) and wired everything.

23.04.jpg

I don't see many discussions about white alder, and so it probably isn't very conducive to bonsai. Still, the price was right.

I would enjoy any comments about care or why white alder isn't used in bonsai. Thanks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My take on why alder is not used much would be that Alders as a genus tend to grow real fast, have long internodes (so difficult to get lots of branching close together for a neat looking tree) and have soft wood that rots easily when pruned. I don't know white alder but assume it is similar to others.

Having said that you are correct about getting a tree at the right price. Even if it doesn't end up as a show stopping bonsai you will have learned lots about watering, pruning, root pruning and lots of other bonsai techniques on a fast growing hardy tree so when a better species comes along you'll do even better with that one.

BTW, I would not call 18" a 'drastic' chop. That's only a moderate chop for alder in my book.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice find. I have one just to keep some natives. I don't know anything yet since I just got it last year.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello. I am a very new bonsai afficionado (think weeks). My neighbor was going to cut down this white alder from his gravel driveway. I asked if I could dig it up and have it. It's probably about 4 years old? At least 4 feet tall.

View attachment 477949

After I got it out (the roots were very shallow) I brought it back to the potting area and looked it over. The roots weren't very pretty.

View attachment 477950

I decided to cut out the root going right, though it ended up being pretty fused together.

Then I did a drastic chop (18 inches now) and wired everything.

View attachment 477952

I don't see many discussions about white alder, and so it probably isn't very conducive to bonsai. Still, the price was right.

I would enjoy any comments about care or why white alder isn't used in bonsai. Thanks.
And it's nitrogen fixer!
1679484455523.png
I dug up a black alder (alnus glutinosa) a couple weeks ago. It's naturalized in America and in some places considered to be invasive...
Here is thread on this forum about Alnus serrata by Shogun610

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/alnus-serrata-alder-trees.50995/

Interested to see progresas.

choate_t_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Top Bottom