Drooping leaves on maples

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

So just had my first winter with my bonsai trees my maple has just shooted out new leaves. However they've come out looking a bit sad.
I'm confused why, i barely water it as soil often feels wet to the touch. So i would be suprised if it was and overwatering problem. And also would be suprised if it was and underwatering problem as i i only water when its dry.
None the less it doesn't seem too happy. The soil is quite compacted but i'm airlayering this year so i don't want to repot. Some of my seedlings did the same after they had just sprouted but then opened up later. Is this common after the new leaves have just come out?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This is normal.
New leaves start out really floppy. I guess that is how they can expand from a tiny little leaf into a full size leaf. They will become harder and more rigid as they fully open.

Be careful not to withhold water too much. As more leaves open fully the tree will need more and more water. Way more trees have died here from dehydration than ever died from root rot. The new tips on fresh shoots are a great indicator. If the fresh tips are drooping the tree needs more water.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
thank you shibui that's good to know. i did think it was that cus my seedlings which sprouted earlier than the tree all went through a similar stage and also i because there wasn't any discoloration on the leaf tips. but i was more concered this time around as its an actual tree 😂

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You pay for that kind of leaf "discoloration". It's called variegation, costs extra, is a characteristic of the various named cultivars, and is why we buy them. The longer into the season they keep that variegation, the more desirable the cultivar.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a photo of damaged leaves due to a late frost. I didn’t protect them but this is the only tree that suffered from it that I have.

Attachments

• 3C08EDEE-B3C6-449A-A521-0D69743A12DA.jpeg
    3C08EDEE-B3C6-449A-A521-0D69743A12DA.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Thanks to OP for asking and members for answering

I was ready to accept defeat on maples my first spring cos mine looks so droopy and sad but I do remember some 'variegation' in this one and I think it must have been healthy cos it shot out so many leaves

I got a late cold night and it had already sent out almost all its leaves already my other is only just opening now

now Im hopeful its not dead can I piggyback this thread and ask should we be wind protecting spring growth in maples? not only had a lot of cold at night one night at freezing, but also pretty warm and bright days, lots of wind, is a tree in this stage when I would have to become familiar with the '2 step'?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have to be prepared to protect everything from unusually bad weather anywhere. It's always species-specific so yes, if you don't want something wind-whipped and torn to shreds or damaged by frost, do whatever is necessary. And, better safe than sorry.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wind in spring is not usually a big issue for JM. Hot, summer winds can be a real problem but I doubt there is anywhere in UK that has winds hot or dry enough to cause damage.
Freezing winter winds could be a problem for some growers but most of them will already have winter protection.
Gale force wind can cause physical damage but ordinary winds don't cause problems.

Beware of providing too much protection. Air movement and sunshine are actually vital to help control fungal disease. Complete containment is likely to be counterproductive.

Most trees can cope well with wind, temp and water a bit out of the ordinary. A few damaged leaves will not normally threaten the tree's health unless there are underlying problems. Trees grow new leaves easily after most damage so don't get too concerned about minor leaf burns.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
As said, it's normal. You should be concerned if the stem is drooping. As far as the leaves are concerned, they're coming out of a very small space and are growing fast and extending. With the proper differences, think of the wings of a newborn butterfly ;-)

Top Bottom