Droopy larch

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all,
A couple of days ago, the shoots on my little larch suddenly drooped. I think it may have coincided with a hot sunny day (29°C) with no protection, although it may have started before that. It's in pretty rubbish soil (peat, perlite, grit), no evidence of insect infestation. It never put out much growth this summer and I've noticed a little browning of the needles for a while.

Does this look like sun/heat damage, or a root problem, and can I expect a recovery?

Many thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20200626_102106.jpg
    20200626_102106.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200626_102137.jpg
    20200626_102137.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 44

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of larch and where do you live?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've seen something like it happen last year with all of my larches.
They went droopy, then yellow, then brown, then dormant before the end of summer. In the spring they leafed out again as if nothing happened.
I suspect it was over watering in my case. We had 40 degrees C for a single day, but it all happened way after that. I don't think it's a heat issue.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have not put a location in your profile. Much better advice if others understand your growing conditions. Larch are very climate specific but I infer from the post that you have had this tree for more than a few months?
It can be hard to tell the difference between heat damage and root problems as the symptoms are almost the same.
BTW, 29C is not hot. That's a pleasant spring day temp.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect it was over watering in my case. We had 40 degrees C for a single day, but it all happened way after that. I don't think it's a heat issue.
Depends on the larch. American larch do not like heat but love wet soil.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I'm in UK, so I definitely feel the heat at 29! I believe it's a Japanese larch. Given the weak growth this year, I think I may have been a bit overzealous when root pruning, or it may just not like the soil.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is root isue together with hot weather. Put it in full shade as soon as possible or its gonner...
And its japanese larch

Reactions: AJL

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes it was a heat wave by our standards!! Its not surprising if trees in small pots suffered.Keep it out of strong sun and wind till its fully recovered.
When and by how much did you root prune when re-potting?

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just checked, it was sold as European larch. I repotted early march, honestly can't remember how much root work I did, but I don't think the roots were in brilliant health.
Either way, definitely time to get some shade cloth!

Top Bottom