Dropping leaves

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all
looking for some advice, my Chinese elm seems to be losing some leaves, some have a brown mark on. The tree is kept outside all year round and I live in the south of the Uk, weather is in the 22 degrees C .
I feed ever two weeks and water when dry, I have had the tree for around 5 years and never had a problem. First off I thought red spider mites so shook over white paper but can’t see any. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 529D8A98-5150-4EE0-A1D4-D8DC8E895758.jpeg
    529D8A98-5150-4EE0-A1D4-D8DC8E895758.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 75957979-9112-488F-9D3C-68F0BCBF9536.jpeg
    75957979-9112-488F-9D3C-68F0BCBF9536.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 26

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm... I see that folks have looked in, but it seems you're stuck waiting on someone with the right experience. So let's bump you to the top again! ;)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmm... I see that folks have looked in, but it seems you're stuck waiting on someone with the right experience. So let's bump you to the top again! ;)
I have some similar situations (dark or brown leaf tips), so I'm also waiting!...

I can't verify any of this, but from my recent research, dark or black ends of leaves like you show in picture 2 can be caused by too much water, not enough water, build-up of chemicals/salt in the soil, or an abrupt change to higher heat. So basically, it could be a lot of things. I'm certain that there are several people here that can guide you in the right direction, Philipk.

D

Deleted member 32750

I would guess it's a fungal issue. It looks like a case of black spot to me. Chinese elms are very susceptible to it and I've had it on my elm this year.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Like Goldilocks and the THREE LEAVES !!!

Papa leaf said.....TOO MUCH WATER

Mama leaf said.... NOT ENOUGH WATER

Baby leaf just made water. :p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't acknowledge "fungal issues", it's not worth the worry.

I just had, or am having an episode, it's almost impossible for them not to be healthy enough to remove all the leaves and start over, so that's what I do.

Some people go out and buy fungicide, I'd recommend spending that money on another tree to enjoy while that one is slightly ugly.

Sorce

D

Deleted member 32750

I don't acknowledge "fungal issues", it's not worth the worry.

I just had, or am having an episode, it's almost impossible for them not to be healthy enough to remove all the leaves and start over, so that's what I do.

Some people go out and buy fungicide, I'd recommend spending that money on another tree to enjoy while that one is slightly ugly.

Sorce
I do a combination of spraying and defoliating. The fungus can live in the branches so even if you defoliate it’ll just come back. I went from having almost every leaf on my Chinese elm infected earlier this spring to now only having like 2 or 3 leaves with spots. I use bonide infuse systemic granular and daconil and liquid copper and it helps tremendously

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
I have some similar situations (dark or brown leaf tips), so I'm also waiting!...

I can't verify any of this, but from my recent research, dark or black ends of leaves like you show in picture 2 can be caused by too much water, not enough water, build-up of chemicals/salt in the soil, or an abrupt change to higher heat. So basically, it could be a lot of things. I'm certain that there are several people here that can guide you in the right direction, Philipk.
Thanks mate
looking closer the mix does seem quiet wet, what do u sugbest¿ should I just let it dry out I don’t really want to remove from pot and change mix at this time in the growing season or should I . Many thanks Phil.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks mate
looking closer the mix does seem quiet wet, what do u sugbest¿ should I just let it dry out I don’t really want to remove from pot and change mix at this time in the growing season or should I . Many thanks Phil.
I'm sure you'll need to dial in the watering better and water as needed, but I don't really know. I'd suggest using the search function in the upper-right corner and found it to be quite useful. There's a ton of information including similar issues to what you're having.

You can start here:
chinese elm watering

Top Bottom