Drunk Dragon to get a new home

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew the day was going to come when I was going to have to find a new pot for this tree. I am posting a photo of the combination of the two and see what you think. I hope you forgive the lousy photo I hope to get a better shot tonight.

View attachment 102507
I like the plain pot it's in. But I can see wanting one a touch deeper. It will look good in that one though.
What about a slab Vance?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I apologize if you have posted before but do you mind giving a brief history of this tree. It is a stunner. I third the slab idea, and to be honest I think I like the current pot more than the one you are considering.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the plain pot in the back. Wish you would have attached two photos....the second being the current flat pot. I don't particularly like the slab idea.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You guys kind of share my love for this tree and yes I have been considering a slab for the tree. My problem is a slab is not an easy thing to encounter around here and I am not so sure I could pull off making one myself.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you could find it, I think this tree would look amazing on a slab made of really pitty volcanic rock.
What about really pitty feather rock? Here's a feather rock...just for reference. image.jpeg Easily drilled and carved...to exactly what shape might be wanted..easily sanded for a flat bottom or even leave some corners for low profile legs....but seriously...definitely wear full eye protection....and handling gloves. Available in Michigan. I should do something with my feather rock...its roughly 21 x 16 x 10".

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance, I think a slab would look good if you can get the root ball a bit thinner. It's already pretty mounded, and taking away the sides of the pot is going to make it look even more mounded.

I'm pretty sure you could get it thinner.

If you would rather not slab it, perhaps a wider (as in longer) oval forest planter might work.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I appreciate all of your replies. I too have been thinking that a slab would be the best way to go and the down sides mentioned have been also considered, especially reducing the soil mound.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
It's a very nicely done bonsai. I, as oppose to most opinions here, would love to see it in the pot you were intending to plant it in.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the old pot.

I like the new one too....
I love the feet....
But I don't think they work with this tree...too much action on action...
Though the deeper pot would help the planting height.

What's the size of the footprint?

I think we could find a slab.
Mike could carry it!

Second thought.....
It's kind of a low tree....
A slab will take it lower....
Stand?

I'd want to keep it displayable.
So Mike can go enjoy it again.
Without an appropriate stand,
A slab won't display it nice yet.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the old pot.

I like the new one too....
I love the feet....
But I don't think they work with this tree...too much action on action...
Though the deeper pot would help the planting height.

What's the size of the footprint?

I think we could find a slab.
Mike could carry it!

Second thought.....
It's kind of a low tree....
A slab will take it lower....
Stand?

I'd want to keep it displayable.
So Mike can go enjoy it again.
Without an appropriate stand,
A slab won't display it nice yet.

Sorce
It's surprisingly heavy but I have carried it.
I would love this tree even if it were in a blue glazed pot!
But it does deserve a good pot. Whatever Vance decides upon it will still be spectacular.
I've watched people at the club show do the same thing I do. They look at all of the trees but stand there looking at this one the longest. Then after they have looked through once they go directly back and look again. And again.
I'll be down in July Vance. If it isn't too late I'll come help. I have to bring the wife down for our daughters wedding shower.
I'd rather come over and play in the dirt than do that. Anything but that.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's surprisingly heavy but I have carried it.
I would love this tree even if it were in a blue glazed pot!
But it does deserve a good pot. Whatever Vance decides upon it will still be spectacular.
I've watched people at the club show do the same thing I do. They look at all of the trees but stand there looking at this one the longest. Then after they have looked through once they go directly back and look again. And again.
I'll be down in July Vance. If it isn't too late I'll come help. I have to bring the wife down for our daughters wedding shower.
I'd rather come over and play in the dirt than do that. Anything but that.

You know your company and assistance is always welcome. Right now I am up to the arm pits involved in my Granddaughter's wedding which will be in two weeks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know your company and assistance is always welcome. Right now I am up to the arm pits involved in my Granddaughter's wedding which will be in two weeks.

2!

Put them monkey suits on boys!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be down a couple times for that wedding.
Weddings!
I'll let you know for sure when I'll be down and we'll get together.

Top Bottom