Dry Stall Pumice - What it is and where to get it

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As most of us know, pumice can often be a great part of a soil mix, but it can sometimes be hard to find locally. I've found a local, cheap source for pumice - Dry Stall. It's been mentioned in the forums before, but I wanted to share some more details about it.

Dry Stall is sold in 40 pound bags. It looks like this:
IMG_8284.jpg

The bag says that it "Reduces Thrush." I don't know what thrush is, but it sounds nasty, so I'm hoping that it will keep that nasty thrush away from my trees.

It's sold in Feed Stores. These are stores that sell food and supplies for horses, chickens, goats, etc. Apparently, Dry Stall is sold as an alternative to hay for horse bedding in stalls. The pumice absorbs water in the floor of the stall, and I guess horses like a dry floor. I like a dry floor too, so I can see why horses would like it.

After I sifted the fines out, here are all the fines that I got out of a 40 pound bag. I didn't weigh it, but by eyeballing it, I would guess that it's 5-10%. Not bad.
IMG_8545.jpg

The particles are pretty small, which is nice. Here's a close-up of the particle size.
IMG_8968.jpg

At my local feed store, it sells for $15 a bag. Very nice. I've used this for a lot of my trees, and I'm happy with it.

If you want to find it local to you, there seems to be a couple of options. First, you could call your local feed store to see if they carry it. Be sure to ask for "Dry Stall" and not "Stall Dry." That's a completely different product that's not pumice. If your local feed store doesn't have it, you can call Dry Stall HQ at 949-493-7825. Your mileage may vary, but when I called them, they gave me the name and address of a local feed store that sells it just about 5 miles away. The company is based in southern California, but the woman said that they had "pretty good distribution across much of the US." Not sure exactly what that means, but I took it that they must sell it in at least 3-4 other stores too, maybe more.

Anyway, I've been happy with it, and I just wanted to pass along the tip in case it helps other people. No hating on me if they don't distribute this in your area. :cool:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Neat! Looks to be just a hair larger than Turface Pro sport I'm trying this year. Might make a good combo.

How long have you used this for?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't find it anywhere in the North Georgia area anymore...I switched to MotherEarth pumice that I get from hydroponics stores....The bags are smaller just 30 pounds but there are less fines than there was in the DryStall. The last Drystall I bought was $20 a bag.

Brian

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A somewhat common store in VA, "Southern States" used to sell it, but they now only carry Stall Dry.

I wish I could find a more local source for pumice. I did try the local hydro shop and they had the Mother Earth pumice but I think it was expensive.

Maybe I should try calling the HQ to see if anybody else sells it around here.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great find. They’re only about 20 minutes from me here in Orange County, CA. I will use this and orchid pine bark in growing beds this year.

Thanks for posting this!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Got it at my store:
Wild West Feed
3030 West Capitol Ave,
west Sacramento, Ca,. 95691

And the latest batch is larger particle size than before, more like blue bag hyuga pumice.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A somewhat common store in VA, "Southern States" used to sell it, but they now only carry Stall Dry.

I wish I could find a more local source for pumice. I did try the local hydro shop and they had the Mother Earth pumice but I think it was expensive.

Maybe I should try calling the HQ to see if anybody else sells it around here.
Drystall has become very very rare in this area. I have friends with Ponderosa pines who need it and have been searching for it in the last couple of years.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
have been searching for it in the last couple of years.
It's been a couple years since I asked the Southern States around me about it, I believe they told me they could special order it but I'd have to buy a pallet or 1/2 pallet. I can't really remember though...

It might be worth having a few friends throw down on that quantity. The picture of the fines from Shinjuku doesn't look too bad, so it might be a worthwhile...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should check on that price. I get it for $17 for a 40 lb bag.
I really should. The store is kind of small and they have a high mark-up on a lot of stuff, but I can't remember the price of it. $17 doesn't sound that bad.

When I was there last, I was pricing super chunky perlite, so the pumice wasn't really on my mind.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As most of us know, pumice can often be a great part of a soil mix, but it can sometimes be hard to find locally. I've found a local, cheap source for pumice - Dry Stall. It's been mentioned in the forums before, but I wanted to share some more details about it.

Dry Stall is sold in 40 pound bags. It looks like this:
View attachment 237501

The bag says that it "Reduces Thrush." I don't know what thrush is, but it sounds nasty, so I'm hoping that it will keep that nasty thrush away from my trees.

It's sold in Feed Stores. These are stores that sell food and supplies for horses, chickens, goats, etc. Apparently, Dry Stall is sold as an alternative to hay for horse bedding in stalls. The pumice absorbs water in the floor of the stall, and I guess horses like a dry floor. I like a dry floor too, so I can see why horses would like it.

After I sifted the fines out, here are all the fines that I got out of a 40 pound bag. I didn't weigh it, but by eyeballing it, I would guess that it's 5-10%. Not bad.
View attachment 237500

The particles are pretty small, which is nice. Here's a close-up of the particle size.
View attachment 237499

At my local feed store, it sells for $15 a bag. Very nice. I've used this for a lot of my trees, and I'm happy with it.

If you want to find it local to you, there seems to be a couple of options. First, you could call your local feed store to see if they carry it. Be sure to ask for "Dry Stall" and not "Stall Dry." That's a completely different product that's not pumice. If your local feed store doesn't have it, you can call Dry Stall HQ at 949-493-7825. Your mileage may vary, but when I called them, they gave me the name and address of a local feed store that sells it just about 5 miles away. The company is based in southern California, but the woman said that they had "pretty good distribution across much of the US." Not sure exactly what that means, but I took it that they must sell it in at least 3-4 other stores too, maybe more.

Anyway, I've been happy with it, and I just wanted to pass along the tip in case it helps other people. No hating on me if they don't distribute this in your area. :cool:

That’s funny because I just talked to her and she said they were pretty much limited to southern California for now. They used to sell through Southern States stores but the buyer switched to Stall Dry and they don’t have another outlet. Too bad as I have a Southern States store right near me.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Their website is down.. are yall still finding this product?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Drystall has become very very rare in this area. I have friends with Ponderosa pines who need it and have been searching for it in the last couple of years.

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can't get dry stall around here, I even tried to get agway to order... no dice. thanks for the tip on checking hydro stores for pumice

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I just got a pallet of pumice, $15.33 for a 30 pound bad, delivered. The particle size looks to be good. The website is www.generalpumice.com/horticulture, they are a great company to do business with.

20190618_085941.jpg

20190618_085918.jpg

20190618_085905.jpg

I also have a pallet of red and a pallet of black lava, 40 pound bags, on the way from these guys: www.flowerocklava.com , also nice guys to do business with. I will report back when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got a pallet of pumice, $15.33 for a 30 pound bad, delivered. The particle size looks to be good. The website is www.generalpumiceproducts.com/horticulture, they are a great company to do business with.

I also have a pallet of red and a pallet of black lava, 40 pound bags, on the way from these guys: www.flowerocklava.com , also nice guys to do business with. I will report back when I get it.

a pallet at time?!?!? WHOA!.. nice!! you must have alot of stock!

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do have a lot of have a lot of trees, but I got with my club and presold most of it so I would not have to store 1800 pounds of pumice and 4000 pounds of lava.

well, that makes sense.. i sent a message to the pumice company about just getting a couple of bags.. i think they are still asleep on Cali. time :)

Top Bottom