Dry Stall Pumice - What it is and where to get it

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think Drystall is a great product but cannot find it anymore in MD.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A feed store that carried told me.. The woman who owned went to jail...

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For anyone in SoCal, Red Barn Feed in Tarzana, CA has 40 lb bags for $11.95 plus tax

amansker

Seed
Reaction score
The Country Feed Store in Vista, CA has 40lb bags for $16.99. $1 off this weekend. I use it for cycad mix.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tractor Suppy stores carry it. $19.99 for a 25lbs bag. It can be ordered through them if your local store doesn't have in stock.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I also have a pallet of red and a pallet of black lava, 40 pound bags, on the way from these guys: www.flowerocklava.com , also nice guys to do business with. I will report back when I get it.

MM - were you happy with the lava? I assumed you purchased the lava quarter. They advertise it as 1/4”-3/8” which is the perfect size rage for me - did it have a lot of fines or was it pretty clean? I asked for a sample - if it’s good and you were happy with it, I might split a pallet with some folks here in Houston.

- S

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
MM - were you happy with the lava? I assumed you purchased the lava quarter. They advertise it as 1/4”-3/8” which is the perfect size rage for me - did it have a lot of fines or was it pretty clean? I asked for a sample - if it’s good and you were happy with it, I might split a pallet with some folks here in Houston.

- S

Yes, I, and my fellow club mates are happy with it. The red has more fines in it than the black for some reason, but you are not getting a half bag of dust/half lava. It was what I have seen in other bags from different places. Good quality and good people to work with. The pumice we ordered had almost no dust at all and a very consistent size. We ordered 2 pallets of red lava and 2 pallets of black lava; and, also two pallets of pumice from the pumice people, I would not hesitate order again when the need arises. I can send you or post some pictures if you like.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes, I, and my fellow club mates are happy with it. The red has more fines in it than the black for some reason, but you are not getting a half bag of dust/half lava. It was what I have seen in other bags from different places. Good quality and good people to work with. The pumice we ordered had almost no dust at all and a very consistent size. We ordered 2 pallets of red lava and 2 pallets of black lava; and, also two pallets of pumice from the pumice people, I would not hesitate order again when the need arises. I can send you or post some pictures if you like.

Forgot to mention, it was the quarter lava. It is nice because you can sift a couple of bags and get some smaller stuff if you need it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems that the only place to find pumice here on the east coast is at specialty hydro stores. I would guess the shipping across the US has made the profit not as high as keeping it only on the west coast?

Higher shipping cost = higher price per bag to maintain the profits

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yep... same use but different product.
So sorry for misinformation!
It's not misinformation. The site just calls it the other name. And it probably isn't the same product.
Pumice can be a bitch to find even on the west coast.
Locally, Green Acres Nursery carries it but you have to catch it "in season." Many times they get in the stuff that's like sand.
Other times I find some good sized sharp particles.
I may be all wet but the Hyuga roundish stuff "seems" to be too smooth.

Lava's easy to find. Pumice, not so.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm lucky enough to have a ground cover company near by that lets me sift their pumice, red and black lava and decomposed granite piles for $4bucks a bucket. This year I got a bit lazy and ordered my pumice from Lexi over at General Pumice Products. I ordered 2 of their 3.5 gallon bags of 1/8" for $50 bucks shipped. Pricey but great a great way for me to save my neck and back from sifting. Stuff is super clean and ready to use.
They also sell their own version of Dry Stall... (not stall dry) call Animal Absorbent in much larger quantities. 30lbs bags and 1800lbs and 2000lbs pallets... have to call for pricing on those.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The guy who conducts our informal weekly lesson, get together, practice...whatever.... has a source that is terrific.
His buddy showed up with FIVE CUBIC YARDS of the stuff and it was the cleanest I've ever sieved. Almost NO dust.
:)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BJ sells the cleanest products I've ever used.
Of course if Dry Stall is hard to find the price isn't so bad, but 149# for $237.62 shipping always built into price
and his products are state tested regularly for pathogens. I usually get the 3.5 gallon for $34.65
but will check the local feed store. I like that BJ's products are tested and ship really fast.

As for bright red lava Jack claims it does not exist anymore, and what is purchased as red lava from other places
like the big box stores probably contains dyes. His red (maroon) lava (pretty dustless as well) is natural and sieved to 1/4" nominally.
Just crush some do a little wash in you sieve over the driveway and check for red stains, or interior should match exterior colour of the aggregate.
They crush, wash, dry, packager and ship their own lava rock too. This is where I get my 1/4" turface to replace the akadama I was using.
Pretty much leave the sieve in the shed when I blend his products.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It's not misinformation. The site just calls it the other name. And it probably isn't the same product.
Locally, Green Acres Nursery carries it but you have to catch it "in season." Many times they get in the stuff that's like sand.
Other times I find some good sized sharp particles.
I may be all wet but the Hyuga roundish stuff "seems" to be too smooth.

Lava's easy to find. Pumice, not so.

General Pumice is on the West Coast, in California, the mines are in Olancha. Give Lexi a call, she'll hook you up.

caerolle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry if this thread is in zombie territory, but I finally ran across the Mother Earth Volcanite Pumice 1 cu ft at a local hydroponics shop, and got a bag yesterday for $17. I was very excited based on things I have read saying this material had few fines. Unfortunately, most of the material was less than 0.20"; I wanted material ~1/4" and got a little over a gallon between 0.20 - 0.26". So, about $17/gallon going this route, which is considerably higher than I could get more tightly sieved material from Bonsai Jack, and not have to get rid of a lot of small stuff. I did get a quart of 1/4 - 3/8" material, which I will mix in some potting soil along with a couple other things to use for growing out some maples, and about 4 gallons of 1/20 - 1/10" material that I can perhaps use for rooting cuttings or something. The latter will be like a lifetime or ten supply though, and probably will wind up spreading most in the yard and flower beds. This is the only local source, so not promising.

OT, but same issue with sourcing lava rock locally. I bought a cubic foot of what was supposed to be pebbles after scouring for days, and it was still 3/4", with pretty much nothing of the size I wanted. So, to use it I am smashing it down and sieving it. It was only $6 but a total waste. I went through the same thing with pine bark fines, won't give the details. No one here sell those or soil conditioner. I think I found something at Petco called Repti Bark, going to get a bag tomorrow. The hydroponic place does have horticultural charcoal for a good price, I think $30 for a cubic foot, and I got a sample to see the size distribution. I think I can find Turface, but I got some mix from a local guy with that in it and wow, very small stuff. I'd prefer to avoid it. I think I can find expanded shale regionally, but not sure it is that good. I'd rather use akadama, and don't mind ordering it for final pots when I get to that point, but probably not for growing out. And I don't think it would last well here due to the freeze thaw. I think it's best to live in the Bay Area if you are doing bonsai, lol. Or Japan.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As previous poster mentioned size is important(Very). Unless growing Shohin or very small trees particle size of 3/16" to perhaps 5/16" is what's needed. Smaller size can clog up much easier and does not give most of oxygenation benefit of bigger particles as it packs too closely. This Stall Dry stuff looks only useful for seedlings or very small trees or top dressing:confused:.

Top Bottom