Dry Wall tape as bonsai pot screen.

jkgarner

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday, I potted a couple trees in some older pots, and was looking for screens for drain holes. Not having any, I turned to the dry-wall tape that I had. It is a roll of mesh that is slightly sticky on one side, that is about 2 inches inches wide. I cut off about 4 inches, folded it in half sticky-side to sticky side, lining up the mesh, and pressed it tight. Viola, a small 2 inch square mesh for the pot. Being new to this, I don't know if anyone else has done this.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yesterday, I potted a couple trees in some older pots, and was looking for screens for drain holes. Not having any, I turned to the dry-wall tape that I had. It is a roll of mesh that is slightly sticky on one side, that is about 2 inches inches wide. I cut off about 4 inches, folded it in half sticky-side to sticky side, lining up the mesh, and pressed it tight. Viola, a small 2 inch square mesh for the pot. Being new to this, I don't know if anyone else has done this.
I have heard of quite a few people here using dry wall tape as screen.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Corin at Greenwood Bonsai in Nottingham uses it often in his YouTube videos.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use it in most of my large wood grow boxes.

Edit - But I guess I didn't really need to post this as it has been discussed innumerable times.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like to use it on seedling trays and grow out pots with many holes. Quick, easy, relatively cheap and it works.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I typically use plastic canvas from the craft store. Works great!

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I typically use plastic canvas from the craft store. Works great!
Totally - when we moved back into my wife’s family home I had three dumpsters of stuff to pitch. Fortunately I found a lifetime of plastic canvas that was saved from the pile, I shouldn’t ever have to buy more. That said it’s fairly cheap at Joann’s or similar

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For bigger and older trees, and particularly conifers that don't get re-potted frequently, make sure that what ever you use has holes large enough to prevent clogging. If I used dry wall tape with some of my JBP, the drain holes would absolutely get clogged up with mycorrhyzia within a 2-3 year period, necessitating a possibly premature re-pot..

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Corin at Greenwood Bonsai in Nottingham uses it often in his YouTube videos.
I call him "Little John" as from the Saturday Morning Robin Hood TV series I liked to watch back in the 1950s. He would have made a good Little John.

Top Bottom