Duckfeet Trident?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This does not look like the tridents I had (I killed them...). The leaves on mine were kinda boring maple like in shape, dunno how to describe it.
Anyone know if this is a named cultivar, or have any other trident maple cultivar recommendations?
Screenshot (291).png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This does not look like the tridents I had (I killed them...). The leaves on mine were kinda boring maple like in shape, dunno how to describe it.
Anyone know if this is a named cultivar, or have any other trident maple cultivar recommendations?
View attachment 320980

Sexy tree! (I can’t really help with your question... but I stand by my words)

🤓

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seems like Al had a post up when he was still holed up in his bunker about different trident varieties. Maybe he can come along and link to that post before I have the time to find it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently watched someone talking about the range of leaves on trident. Reckon it was Bjorn. Maybe a Bonsai U. Could have been older.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That could just be mature leaves. The older trees in our yard now have leaves that shape but as younger trees they all had the same leaf shape as the bonsai tridents.
There is also the Taiwan variety of trident that has thicker, leathery leaves that are more lime green but I have not seen that one as an older tree.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Generally this is a "Miyasama"dwarf trident. I have one currently growing in-ground to fatten up its trunk. Don't typically see them that large. Might be grafted onto "regular" trident trunk....

https://mrmaple.com/products/buy-acer-buergerianum-miyasama-dwarf-trident-maple
Think I just found the answer, as per your link: "
This Miyasama yatsubusa dwarf trident leafs out with salmon to deep red foliage fading to green by mid-summer. The small rounded leaves show this yatsubusa trident is actually the subspecies Acer buergerianum ssp. formosanum"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Think I just found the answer, as per your link: "
This Miyasama yatsubusa dwarf trident leafs out with salmon to deep red foliage fading to green by mid-summer. The small rounded leaves show this yatsubusa trident is actually the subspecies Acer buergerianum ssp. formosanum"
yeah, it's known as the Chinese version of the trident, basically...as in "Formosa"

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a rough bark trident From evergreen garden works that has leaves that are somewhat similar. Certain trident varieties can be harder to find like the miyasama or another that the leaves curl and the name escapes me.
AD188BD5-3D62-49AE-A435-2A81F22988A8.jpegEC75AE2B-A6F2-4063-B450-9FFF97DF0508.jpeg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a rough bark trident From evergreen garden works that has leaves that are somewhat similar. Certain trident varieties can be harder to find like the miyasama or another that the leaves curl and the name escapes me.
View attachment 320990View attachment 320991
I dont think thats the formosanum subspecies, your pictures look less like what I posted and more like what I used to own

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think thats the formosanum subspecies, your pictures look less like what I posted and more like what I used to own

Yea its not likely the same subspecies...I feel the leaves on this one are still more rounded when compared to my other standard tridents.

@bwaynef I checked smokes blog and that post with the trident varieties appears to no longer exist....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes it is. There are several kinds.

Top Bottom