Dug out 2 big bougies

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dug out 2 massive bougies today, one a lot bigger then the other, didn’t get much roots but just treating them like giant cuttings and hoping for the best.

They would have been torn out if I didn’t get them so had to try and hope for the best. Keys and water bottles for comparisonE4DDF2B5-AB4C-4B49-BED7-BC0E0DADF2EF.jpeg2140522D-5DFD-44B1-903E-D1FCD8A6F259.jpeg6EC5226D-517A-43D7-8C10-6C899DF223EB.jpeg666BCE15-C82E-4292-BF91-A1C87916E674.jpegB305D49D-9366-46A2-B356-AEF6A42D1231.jpegD8E172B3-19EE-44F2-B640-E85158F0C8AE.jpeg603E6AB1-30A3-4431-9076-818D8BC2B0A7.jpegAC26A569-90B8-42BB-91EB-AC5FA51649B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
H
damn, those are big.
Nice.
In the frozen north where I am, we don't see bougies except in a greenhouse or garden center, in a 4 or 8 inch pot with less than pencil thick trunks. "Climate Zone Envy"

Yeah we have massive ones everywhere, I’d like to get my hands on some big light pink or white ones though ?

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
damn, those are big.
Nice.
In the frozen north where I am, we don't see bougies except in a greenhouse or garden center, in a 4 or 8 inch pot with less than pencil thick trunks. "Climate Zone Envy"
Someday you can retire and move to FLA like every other person under the sun. :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Someday you can retire and move to FLA like every other person under the sun. :)

Actually probably retire to live on the blueberry farm in Michigan. Both the farm and my home in Illinois are close enough to Lake Michigan that no matter how hot the day, at night it cools off when the ''Lake breeze'' kicks in. Usually an hour or so after sunset the wind shifts to come in off the lake. Down side is shovelling "Lake effect" snow in winter but I do not have to pay for air conditioning. That covers hiring the local kids to shovel the snow. Most years I have fewer than 10 days over 90 F. at the farm more years than not, zero days over 90 F. (zero days over +32 C)

If I would move south I would probably make myself crazy by trying to grow cold weather trees along with my sub-tropicals. No matter the place or season, I always ''covet'' the tree or plant that could not possibly be grown where I'm at. It is a mental illness. And I love it.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Actually probably retire to live on the blueberry farm in Michigan. Both the farm and my home in Illinois are close enough to Lake Michigan that no matter how hot the day, at night it cools off when the ''Lake breeze'' kicks in. Usually an hour or so after sunset the wind shifts to come in off the lake. Down side is shovelling "Lake effect" snow in winter but I do not have to pay for air conditioning. That covers hiring the local kids to shovel the snow. Most years I have fewer than 10 days over 90 F. at the farm more years than not, zero days over 90 F. (zero days over +32 C)

If I would move south I would probably make myself crazy by trying to grow cold weather trees along with my sub-tropicals. No matter the place or season, I always ''covet'' the tree or plant that could not possibly be grown where I'm at. It is a mental illness. And I love it.
We were originally going to start heading towards North FLA near west of Tally, but Hurricane Michael changed those plans. Now its looking like south central Georgia. I am not a tropical fan so no loss for me.

Top Bottom