Dumb purchase?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta add....

The greater Chicagoland area doesn't support these type of businesses. We have one Nursery like this that I know of and they won't sell anything at any discount because they can't afford to. Too small to have this kind of stuff too...no 'back room".

Sorce
This guy has been around since the early 70s, quite the local character. I worry he's down to last couple years in business, maybe in anything... A lot of my dealings with involve him pricing on the spot, really enjoy walking that yard- nothing else around here has that feel. Maybe the landscape place more in town that also sells yard stones- he deals in stones he's taking from construction sites and farmers, have a few boulders from him that we love.. Should be that kind of adventure, big box is sad.
B

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gotta add....

The greater Chicagoland area doesn't support these type of businesses. We have one Nursery like this that I know of and they won't sell anything at any discount because they can't afford to. Too small to have this kind of stuff too...no 'back room".

Sorce
Seek, and ye shall find. Unimaginable lands exist outside your Bubbleland. Or is that Da Bubbleland? Screw the discount, we want old plants.

Last edited:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is so extensive.....

By the time I reach the edge it is not worth the trip.
My time is better spent doing other things to earn $ for better material.

I'm out this bitch soon!

Sorce
Yes we need more pots!

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took one of the trees to a meeting today with intention of selling, ended up getting it styled as part of a demonstration that was scheduled. At one point he wanted to make dinner cuts I wasn't ready for yet, so he offered to buy it. Worked out great, feel like watching him dig into the rough material was very enlightening, and I'm sure he can resell it at some later date.
BrentE2D3A56C-C6B3-48A3-A175-67512FE0EA06.jpeg

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He gave me $50 after I said I paid $25.. I didn't really do any great planning or negotiating, hope he turns it into something impressive. I do sorta worry I brought the wrong one today, not sure which one grabbed me initially...
B

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a close-up of the one I kept. The fat trunk is all I remember liking yesterday, hope the rest is interesting
Brent

Attachments

• 64D5CC39-815B-4BD7-A03F-42F7CAE09C24.jpeg
    64D5CC39-815B-4BD7-A03F-42F7CAE09C24.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 95

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are only allotted just so much serendipity in life. You're going to be surprised how long the intervals are in-between events.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He gave me $50 after I said I paid $25.. I didn't really do any great planning or negotiating, hope he turns it into something impressive. I do sorta worry I brought the wrong one today, not sure which one grabbed me initially...
B
Fifty bucks is a bit low for such an old tree...Just sayin... Material like that doesn't come along very often and its worth hanging on to. You never know who will pay what for it...

It's most likely a "San Jose" cultivar. Those were pretty standard nursery junipers back when (and mostly still are). The foliage on them is very difficult to move from the juvenile sharp stuff.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fifty bucks is a bit low for such an old tree...Just sayin... Material like that doesn't come along very often and its worth hanging on to. You never know who will pay what for it...

It's most likely a "San Jose" cultivar. Those were pretty standard nursery junipers back when (and mostly still are). The foliage on them is very difficult to move from the juvenile sharp stuff.
I think I would not have sold if I had more experience, more a feel for the possibility, but also my yard is really not great for evergreens. We're in the woods, and as much as I love juniper and pine,I feel like I'm punishing them here...
I've started cleaning up the other one I bought, hopefully I've learned something from the demo. Maybe a couple of things?
I'll make another trip this week, look for more trees from me - see if I can score again.
B

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. Gonna take me a while to finish what we started yesterday, When I get done wiring I'll post it here.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cleaned out dead wood, messed with different fronts, looking at this for now... I want to like the dead branch on the lower left, but I don't. Maybe if it didn't wrap around?
I think I brought the wrong one yesterday....
Brent

Attachments

• 01115872-A10B-4440-B8C3-198B03593246.jpeg
    01115872-A10B-4440-B8C3-198B03593246.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 89

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been working on the juniper on and off since this post, starting to make pads, not just shape it. Removed a bit of branches, trying to showcase the trunk more -hard to tell, but it's as big as my wife's wrist at the base...

Attachments

• 32119989-9CF4-4900-9ACE-D880D477BF58.jpeg
    32119989-9CF4-4900-9ACE-D880D477BF58.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom