Dumb question: Hand carry a bonsai from Japan?

rrseth

Seed
Reaction score
So I'm sure this has been discussed, I couldn't find it though, but is there a way I can simply buy a bonsai while in Japan and bring it with me to the USA in my luggage, LEGALLY?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No you will need an import permit. There's also some species that are banned. You get caught and you'll pay a hefty fine.

rrseth

Seed
Reaction score
And the import permit is near impossible to get?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe ask the airline that you’re travelling with, or try to get in touch with the customs department from the airports you’ll be leaving from and arriving at

rrseth

Seed
Reaction score
I absolutely will post here, and will ask at the airport on way back this weekend, then report here

rrseth

Seed
Reaction score
Spent the better part of the afternoon researching this…without going into too much detail, its near impossible, because of a 2 year quarantine requirement. Only way is to import for research purposes, lol

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definite research project! or Hire private pilot to help smuggle tree to out of way airport😜😇.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You may want to try using an agent who already has the experience and credentials. I have a pal that imports trees for himself ( using agent) and it’s crazy expensive.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the nursery already has a phytosanitary certificate, then you don't need a 2 year quarantine. The nursery has already been inspected and certified over a 2+ year period to be disease free.
You still need an import permit in the US from the USDA. And then you probably need to pay for inspection where at customs a ministry of agriculture person checks if indeed your package has the correct certificate.]
I believe this happens on the Japanese side, maybe also on the US side.

Not sure that if this is all in order, you can hand carry it. It might theoretically be possible if you arrive on the airport early and there is indeed someone with the expertise to help check in the plant.
Seems a bit unlikely because hobbyists aren't supposed to import plants. And certainly not with hand luggage. But the rules may not ban it outright.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Exactly.

If it was all easy, it would be done all the time - it isn't and it isn't.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the nursery already has a phytosanitary certificate, then you don't need a 2 year quarantine. The nursery has already been inspected and certified over a 2+ year period to be disease free.
You still need an import permit in the US from the USDA. And then you probably need to pay for inspection where at customs a ministry of agriculture person checks if indeed your package has the correct certificate.]
I believe this happens on the Japanese side, maybe also on the US side.

Not sure that if this is all in order, you can hand carry it. It might theoretically be possible if you arrive on the airport early and there is indeed someone with the expertise to help check in the plant.
Seems a bit unlikely because hobbyists aren't supposed to import plants. And certainly not with hand luggage. But the rules may not ban it outright.
This ^
Not to mention the tree will still need to be bare rooted.
No soil whatsoever can enter the U.S.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think there's also a lengthy quarantine process.

I might be wrong on the quarantine bit because of differences between the US and Europe.
I did hear stories about things going into the US from Japan having to be bare rooted in Japan first, and then staying in a quarantine USDA plant for 2 years, before being released. But I was under the impression that this is changed. Also because there are Japanese sellers that have a certificate and that say they can sell through EMS to the US. It may still be that on the USDA side, they decide to hold up and inspect your plants a bit more before they release them as safe. There could also be a difference here between a consumer and a few plants, or a business with a whole container, or EMS mail packages. They likely will prefer not releasing your mail package with your life bonsai, while it is dying vs them releasing something they are not supposed to release yet.

As for the USDA permit. It is not a permit to import said plant. It is just that you are registered with USDA as a plant importer. Apparently, it is not so hard to get one. But by itself, it doesn't help you get your specific plant from Japan. The phytosanitary certificate is the big thing. The Japanese grower must already have demonstrated that their plants are disease free, over a period of years. Which means they are regularly selling international already and went through the entire process years ago.

And then you need to pay a fair bit of money for there be an plant expert at the customs to inspect and waive through your plant. You pay for them to show up, I believe. And then you also pay a percentage of the value.
There may be another inspection by the US customs, with again the same cost involved. Plus possible import tax.

If you are a commercial bonsai importer in the west, you probably have a Japanese agent to deal with all the issues on the Japanese side. Like transport, paperwork, dealing with Japanese bonsai nursery/customs/MAFF/USDA, So you'd have to pay them too.

The exception for research is very interesting, though. In science, we basically just ship everything and put in 'scientific sample' so customs doesn't grow crazy over the sample containing actual people's brain slices, or living genetically modified organisms, etc. Also avoids import taxes.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Only Azaleas and Japanese White Pine currently there is no quarantine bare rooted , it is very expensive though to import , we have Japanese bonsai studios in connection helping us out , so we are waiting for freight costs to ship drop because it’s the freight that kills you not the individual trees , and you need the import permit from USDA.. a large crate full of material is around 8,000 usd shipping and be a certified facility to receive imported plant material , everything else has to be bare rooted and in a quarantine facility 2 years . Chojubai and I think a few other species are banned. However I would challenge that kid sort because stuff from China gets in scot-free all the time , case point Lantern Fly.

Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah so USDA requires you to meet some sort of certification as well. My knowledge is only really based off azaleas. So that explains it, I guess.
Importing to the US seems way way less common than to the EU. There is tons of stuff imported from Japan available here.
Of course they need to go through similar procedures. But the bare rooting and 2 year quarantine do not seem to be a thing here, for most species.

Based on disease and risk, indeed certain species may be banned. Right now the biggest scare in the plant world is probably Xylella.
Another scare is probably the citrus long-horned beetle, which has been found in NA and Europe several time, including in connection with bonsai imports.
If these are detected, the argiculture department will come out and destroy every tree in a 2km radius of where it was found, just to prevent it from spreading.

apic92

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah I think you got the picture. To do it legally, the export process is quite tough and expensive. Nothing inexpensive or low volume make sense in this export game. I confirm what Shogun610 mentioned too about species, Azaleas and JWP only atm.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai is best a highly local endeavor.

If you want to own a Japanese tree, have someone in Japan care for it like they do in Japan!

Sorce

johng

Omono
Reaction score
A good friend of mine did this many years ago before the laws changed in 2001. There was a 12" size limit and the species restriction were far less than they are now. He researched it, took a hard sided suitcase with him, and succeeded in bringing back a couple trees. Not so much more any more... I successfully mailed myself a small maple tree the only time I went to Japan...illegal for sure but the tree survived 9 days in a box. I've heard that a couple of big name folks did some illegal importing and got caught and received a big fine supposedly. Not sure if it is true or not but I think it is!

Top Bottom