Dumpster cryptomeria

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This was taken (2015) from the trash of women that had them growing in the yard and this was a weedy volunteer. I would have put it in the ground but they won't survive the winter just a few miles from shores of Lake Erie. I had kinda forgotten about it and just noticed its shaggy growth the other day. Gave it a haircut and a few wires. Hmmm....turning into something. It think a shallower, more appropriate pot is in order for the spring. I think its bizarre that the foliage on an adult J. cedar is unrecognizable compared to one in a pot.

IMG_4055.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a fan of cryptomeria in general, but I really love what you have done with this. Great job

Super ditto.

For me, there's a double edged sword that is the pot's bottom line bringing attention to the "bar branch" whose line is similar. I think that's the only problem with both, their ability to being each other out.

New pot, Perfect.

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Super ditto.

For me, there's a double edged sword that is the pot's bottom line bringing attention to the "bar branch" whose line is similar. I think that's the only problem with both, their ability to being each other out.

New pot, Perfect.

Sorce
It does appear to be a bar branch in the photo but it’s just the split in the front branch. There’s nothing like “being there“! I do get your point though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not the purist that so many here strive to be. What is being referred to as a bar branch adds some reality to the tree. We see trees like this all the time in nature and few of us want to climb up there to change it even if we could. In a classic pairing perhaps that branch and the feet are in conflict but I don't see it that way at all.
Also I find it amazing how much depth that split branch adds to the composition. I love the floating green cloud of foliage it presents and hope you will further develop the cloud like branch in the tier above it. Repetition is peaceful in moderation.The mind seeks it.
To me it is those slight imperfections that make the tree nearly perfect. Wouldn't change it ..... ever.
Absolute rule breaking beautiful.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am not the purist that so many here strive to be. What is being referred to as a bar branch adds some reality to the tree. We see trees like this all the time in nature and few of us want to climb up there to change it even if we could. In a classic pairing perhaps that branch and the feet are in conflict but I don't see it that way at all.
Also I find it amazing how much depth that split branch adds to the composition. I love the floating green cloud of foliage it presents and hope you will further develop the cloud like branch in the tier above it. Repetition is peaceful in moderation.The mind seeks it.
To me it is those slight imperfections that make the tree nearly perfect. Wouldn't change it ..... ever.
Absolute rule breaking beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words. The pot was the only thing I had that was anywhere small enough to use. I mostly have larger trees and this one is only 19” from the soil. I’m thinking slightly more than half the height of the current pot and wider to position on the left side to give the composition some white space.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome tree.I made a few seedling cuttings of these.They are slow to start.Even in a co2 environment.They are rooting.I took this photo about a week ago.
I looked yesterday though and some of the rooting is phoenominal ...dense rooting right out of the base of first leaves!!
Will be cool as they mature.I imagine they get more vigorous.
645E151F-0636-43F7-B5E4-6849E2CB3598.jpeg

Attachments

• AA220DF4-28C8-46DC-AAB2-146E6A450654.jpeg
    AA220DF4-28C8-46DC-AAB2-146E6A450654.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 19
  • E7E2A790-1BE5-4375-9AC0-32F522FB7895.jpeg
    E7E2A790-1BE5-4375-9AC0-32F522FB7895.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 15
  • E419172C-5F50-45F2-9E12-291AEBFEC197.jpeg
    E419172C-5F50-45F2-9E12-291AEBFEC197.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 23

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome tree.I made a few seedling cuttings of these.They are slow to start.Even in a co2 environment.They are rooting.I took this photo about a week ago.
I looked yesterday though and some of the rooting is phoenominal ...dense rooting right out of the base of first leaves!!
Will be cool as they mature.I imagine they get more vigorous.
View attachment 329795
Well done!!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me, the dark pot draws my eye, and from there I follow the trunk up. I don't know if that's a correct way to view bonsai or not.
The lighter pot provides for a "total picture" of the tree.
Both very nice pots!
CW

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both are beautifully made and glazed. I am rather covetous of the glazes on both but particularly the yellowish one.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Wow! Very pretty pots! Both are winners.
I like the yellow one as well.👍

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Plays really well with the lighter tones on the foliage. 😍

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I dig the yellow pot, but for this tree I would go with the darker one.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks all!! I was leaning on yellow myself but wanted some confirmation. Still a little early here for repotting.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the first one. The thin/delicate lip works better with this tree.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I love the yellow one, but am siding with the minority and voting darker one. The yellow matches well with the highlights in the foliage and for me that is the problem. To me it washes the overall composition out. But I’m a newb and don’t understand pots and the arts side nearly as well as many of you. Especially the ones more creatively unlined like you. So take it for what it’s worth but when I flip between the two I consistently like the darker pot. I even saved them and mixed them in to a random assortment of uprights and still liked it better.

Honestly I can’t visualize it because I can’t visualize, I had to do comparisons to verify my first instinct. By not being able to visualize I mean I just “know” what an apple looks like. If you asked me to picture it in my mind I can’t “see” it but I know what I’m “picturing”. Thought people were just using creative license or it was a figure of speech until recently when I discovered it’s real and I’m not alone. Also another wierd thing in my brain is that I can’t remember names! Lol

Anyways back to the topic! I like the darker one and can’t even fully describe why except that the yellow pot seems to make the tree weaker perhaps. Not the right word but the contrast with the darker pot makes me see the tree more firmly. Maybe it’s just my wierd brain lol.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice work, it's hard to keep cryptomeria here, I don't know why, maybe too dry and hot in summer. Saving this one from trash and what you've done with it is excellent.

And I prefer the darker pot. Very nice tree.

Top Bottom