Duranta erecta aurea - Golden dewdrop bonsai, anyone?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Duranta erecta aurea, also known in South America as "pingo de ouro" (Golden dewdrop), is a ornamental Bush growing in many streets and parks in São Paulo, as its leaves are a very bright color of green and the leaves are very small.
Many people use them for bonsai.
This one below is around the corner from my workplace, a bush, and a very interesting plant.20201211_100854 (1)_copy_1024x969.jpg

Well, there are some examples of exquisite bonsai from the species, such as this one:

20201211_205706.jpg

So the question is, anyone growing a Duranta bonsai can tell me if the growth is too slow? I'd like to try one, but if it takes ages to develop into a believable bonsai I'll jus pass.

{Edit} yes, it buds from old wood.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never heard of it until now...

But I did a quick web search and there are quite a number of nurseries selling it here in North Carolina. It apparently has nice blooms!
Duranta erecta here sold as tropical annual (~2-3’) apparently can be overwintered in a garage. The small purple blooms are a magnet for hummingbirds and butterflies. Could see being turned into something special.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Duranta erecta aurea, also known in South America as "pingo de ouro" (Golden dewdrop), is a ornamental Bush growing in many streets and parks in São Paulo, as its leaves are a very bright color of green and the leaves are very small.
This one below is around the corner from my workplace, a bush, and a very interesting plant.View attachment 343982

Well, there are some examples of exquisite bonsai from the species, such as this one:

View attachment 343985

So the question is, anyone growing a Duranta bonsai can tell me if the growth is too slow? I'd like to try one, but if it takes ages to develop into a believable bonsai I'll jus pass.

It's nice that one is so close for your collection...

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have been growing one in the ground for 2 years. It started as a toothpick- thin cutting. It's now about 7 feet high with a dozen long splaying branches and a trumk a little smaller than wrist size. From cuttings this summer, I've had them root AND flower in less than 2 months. Mine loves Miracle Gro.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have been growing one in the ground for 2 years. It started as a toothpick- thin cutting. It's now about 7 feet high with a dozen long splaying branches and a trumk a little smaller than wrist size. From cuttings this summer, I've had them root AND flower in less than 2 months. Mine loves Miracle Gro.
Here they are pruned every two months to keep compact, throughout the year.
Yes, they have this tendency to get leggy in a matter of weeks.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
hi Clicio
many of the trees you show are the same we have growing in our area (our zone is the same 11A)
This is a very popular, beautiful garden shrub here as well...

Attachments

• 20201213_090603.jpg
    20201213_090603.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 32

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
hi Clicio
many of the trees you show are the same we have growing in our area (our zone is the same 11A)
This is a very popular, beautiful garden shrub here as well...
That's amazing, I always wanted to know South Africa. Yes, many similar plants here and there, but we lack the big animals...

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
This one below is around the corner from my workplace, a bush, and a very interesting plant.View attachment 343982

View attachment 343985

Hey Clicio,

I don’t have any personal experience with this species but, I happened to grab a picture of this one at Dragon Tree. I can ask about it next time I’m up there. For reference, the placard is roughly 5”x3” It reads roughly 15 years old in 2010. 067B0724-0320-4702-A8D3-C88003606502.jpegAFDCE2AD-B09B-4A99-8591-3D4910199851.jpeg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey Clicio,

I don’t have any personal experience with this species but, I happened to grab a picture of this one at Dragon Tree. I can ask about it next time I’m up there. For reference, the placard is roughly 5”x3” It reads roughly 15 years old in 2010.

Hi Theo, thanks for the picture, amazing tree!
Yes, I can grab some old ones like that around here, but on the ground, which means some training and repotting.
A couple of years I guess. Thanks!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Theo, thanks for the picture, amazing tree!
Yes, I can grab some old ones like that around here, but on the ground, which means some training and repotting.
A couple of years I guess. Thanks!
wb my friend

Top Bottom