Duranta erecta

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have wanted one of these for bonsai material for awhile now but i have done extensive search for information about when to repot and every sight i visit talks about repoting but never mentions the time of year? Any suggestions or sights you know have information on durantas would be most helpful thank you...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repotting is most of the time before the plant is going to grow before the leaves pop or the buds swell, so thats late winter / before or early spring (or in spring some plants).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless it's a tropical .

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its considered tropical its grown as an annual in zone 8. I get mixed answers on them one says its okay to keep them out in zone 8 and others say they die back to the ground. I mean if i have to bring it in for the winter that's fine but i still cant find any repotting information... Its nursery stock so its severely root bound.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if it is, when should/may one repot it?
And if it is semi-tropical, when?

hmmm, an interesting viewpoint for possibly understanding why repotting can be done when.

You would know better than I!

I'm just trying to forget this is in the wrong forum......;)
The thread proved less interesting than the title hinted!

Lol.

Sorce

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
This guy has some very nice Duranta repens. http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.mx/2014/01/duranta-erecta-sheenas-gold-another-fun.html As to a re pot, you haven't filled out where you are. So do that. It's important. Do you have an indoor setup for tropicals trees? You will need one for this tree. If you think that its root-bound condition is going to kill it before your Spring (whenever that may be, then go ahead and re pot now- if you can accommodate it over your winter. Otherwise you would be wasting your time.. By the way, welcome to the forum! Lots of interesting types on this one. It is not a hard tree to grow and there are lots of sites on the net.

George.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I though it was tropical.

Matter of fact.....

Sorce

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Appreciate that! Don't worry. There are a lot of nicer ones. Try to develop a sense of humour about the not so nice. They can be quite funny, in an unintended way, I am sure. Keep up with the Duranta. I'm just south of the Tropic of Cancer, which means I am officially living in the tropics. I planted a nursery stick in my garden. Now I don't quite know what to do with it. Five foot high leaders, four foot spread. Yikes! Might have to dig it up and pot it. I like them a lot, anyway

George.

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Appreciate that! Don't worry. There are a lot of nicer ones. Try to develop a sense of humour about the not so nice. They can be quite funny, in an unintended way, I am sure. Keep up with the Duranta. I'm just south of the Tropic of Cancer, which means I am officially living in the tropics. I planted a nursery stick in my garden. Now I don't quite know what to do with it. Five foot high leaders, four foot spread. Yikes! Might have to dig it up and pot it. I like them a lot, anyway

George.
Oh cool yeah i steer more towards tropical trees they tend to have a lot more color especially in the blue spectrum which is what my eyes are drawn too first blue or red. I have a wisteria i airlayerd last year from my grandfathers its still small but they grow quickly cant wait to see what comes of it. Yeah the duranta its driving me crazy not repotting it because there are two growing together in the pot and i dont want the two trunks fusing together. I had one once before and it didn't do too well... and yeah ill keep that in mind about dealing with others here...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you George you are a lot nicer than some on here... :)

Hey Brosmurf,
If you meant this.....
I'm just trying to forget this is in the wrong forum......;)
The thread proved less interesting than the title hinted

Let me apologize and clarify....

It iS bogus that in the phone, you can't see under the forum where it says what it is for. This Feedback and suggestions (for the site) is the most deceiving. Everyone does it! I'm just joshing ya. Hence;)
Some people won't even reply if it's not even in the right thread, that why I did. And bumped you!

As far as the not being so interesting, I was picturing some quality photos of Duran Duran Erect.

Or anything erect.

Which may have been very funny!

Last thing I wanna do is run someone off!

Welcome to Crazy. With an emphasis on Welcome and Crazy!

Sorce

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in the Tampa Bay area of Fl about 1 mile from the Gulf. My son had a Duranta ( they call them Golden Dew Drops here because of the gold color of the berries) growing in a planter in his swimming pool. He could not stand the mess it made (leaves, flowers, berries ) falling into the pool. He ripped it out by the roots and threw it in the back of his yard. About 4 days later he told me what he did and I immediately went to his house and picked up the plant. it was sitting in the sun bare rooted. I took it home and put it in a tub of water for a day and then cleaned up the roots and stripped all the leaves and repotted it in an Anderson flat using Turface and Hydroton rocks. About 5 days later it started to break new buds. A couple of months later it started to make flowers (they are gorgeous Dark blue with a white border in long racemes. It is still growing in the flat and needs to be repotted but it has rained so much here this summer (about 50+ inches in Jul and Aug) that I have been unable to do much pruning or repotting. Hopefully the weather will go back to normal and I will be able to catch up.

To sum this up Durantas are very tough and vigorous plants, its hard to kill them at least in west central Florida. One thing I have noticed is that they don't heal over large wounds quickly. Hope this helps.

Sorry I do not have any photos to post.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in the Tampa Bay area of Fl about 1 mile from the Gulf. My son had a Duranta ( they call them Golden Dew Drops here because of the gold color of the berries) growing in a planter in his swimming pool. He could not stand the mess it made (leaves, flowers, berries ) falling into the pool. He ripped it out by the roots and threw it in the back of his yard. About 4 days later he told me what he did and I immediately went to his house and picked up the plant. it was sitting in the sun bare rooted. I took it home and put it in a tub of water for a day and then cleaned up the roots and stripped all the leaves and repotted it in an Anderson flat using Turface and Hydroton rocks. About 5 days later it started to break new buds. A couple of months later it started to make flowers (they are gorgeous Dark blue with a white border in long racemes. It is still growing in the flat and needs to be repotted but it has rained so much here this summer (about 50+ inches in Jul and Aug) that I have been unable to do much pruning or repotting. Hopefully the weather will go back to normal and I will be able to catch up.

To sum this up Durantas are very tough and vigorous plants, its hard to kill them at least in west central Florida. One thing I have noticed is that they don't heal over large wounds quickly. Hope this helps.

Sorry I do not have any photos to post.
It does give me some peace of mind thank you. If you plant on putting pictures up i would love to see them thank you....

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice yeah I first seen these as a small nursry and it had the wrong name on the pot took me another year to find it at a houston garden center here with the proper name... there was this other one i wanted to try the Blue Butterfly Bush (Clerodendrum ugandense, Rotheca myricoides) as a bonsai seen them once here at a nursey and had no name as well...

Brosmurf24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Brosmurf,
If you meant this.....

Let me apologize and clarify....

It iS bogus that in the phone, you can't see under the forum where it says what it is for. This Feedback and suggestions (for the site) is the most deceiving. Everyone does it! I'm just joshing ya. Hence;)
Some people won't even reply if it's not even in the right thread, that why I did. And bumped you!

As far as the not being so interesting, I was picturing some quality photos of Duran Duran Erect.

Or anything erect.

Which may have been very funny!

Last thing I wanna do is run someone off!

Welcome to Crazy. With an emphasis on Welcome and Crazy!

Sorce
In my defense you don't see the fine print till after you have clicked on the forum so I wasn't looking for it. and thank you for clarifying and apologizing...

Top Bottom