Dwarf Alberta Spruce Backbudding

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a small dwarf alberta spruce. I'd like to chase the foliage back some. Do i want to cut back a portion of this years new growth (it is about 1 inch long) or do i let it harden off first? There are some dormant buds and some weaker growth further back on most branches.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do not touch thw weaker shoots (those with only one apical bud). For stronger shoits, you can pinch now the new growth. Remove about 2-thirds of the stonger ones and half of the not-so-stronga. You will see new buds at the wound in a couple weeks.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a small dwarf alberta spruce. I'd like to chase the foliage back some. Do i want to cut back a portion of this years new growth (it is about 1 inch long) or do i let it harden off first? There are some dormant buds and some weaker growth further back on most branches.

Hi coltranem,
Alberta Spruce backbud really well, and you can reduce the foliage by 1/3 each year starting at the top, with weaker branches don’t cut much if any off. Albertas grow really thick and are happy for the prune and you can cut back new growth after it has lengthened and lignified if you are happy with the chase option first. Then you will get lots of fluffy pads.
Can @sorce give his opinion please and if I have put you wrong then ignore my ramble.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never really got to the point to pay attention to "backbudding" particularly.
There have always been buds or branches to cut back to.

Sounds like this is what is going on here....

? There are some dormant buds and some weaker growth further back on most branches.

In that case....(pics?)

If the TREE is healthy...
I wouldn't worry about individual branch strengths...so long as there are Living buds further in....
If the tree is healthy, you can cut it all back, and it is likely it will balance itself with healthy tridents of buds at EACH tip by the end of growing.

But this is important to note....
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/truce-that-5-alberta.22550/post-463179

More..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In that https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/truce-that-5-alberta.22550/post-463179
Post....

I cut things below that apex branch...and it sprouted...
Actually.....thats the same one delaying this year.!

But "redirecting energy" seems very real for these.
So maybe leaving weak branches uncut can help.

But heres the most important part....

Is it in a pot yet?
Or a basket in prep to pot?

I ask because if you intend to pot it within the next couple years....I wouldn't cut much at all.
I been trying to cut nothing on potting years...which...I have been able to actually buy a spruce this year and not cut anything just to repot! Milestone for itchy wiring hands!

However....I have that very "as close to death and not dead" Alberta slated for repot this year....with basically 90% of it's mass new to this year....

So if it survives....

I may feel different about leaving so much foliage for repot.
Which will only serve to very heavily back up this Summer Rain and Wane repot for spruce.

Last thought.....

The only difference between a topiary and a Bonsai is the shape.

Yeah.....don't prune like that!

What we do is basically just more detailed pruning.

Same same.

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In that https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/truce-that-5-alberta.22550/post-463179
Post....

I cut things below that apex branch...and it sprouted...
Actually.....thats the same one delaying this year.!

But "redirecting energy" seems very real for these.
So maybe leaving weak branches uncut can help.

But heres the most important part....

Is it in a pot yet?
Or a basket in prep to pot?

I ask because if you intend to pot it within the next couple years....I wouldn't cut much at all.
I been trying to cut nothing on potting years...which...I have been able to actually buy a spruce this year and not cut anything just to repot! Milestone for itchy wiring hands!

However....I have that very "as close to death and not dead" Alberta slated for repot this year....with basically 90% of it's mass new to this year....

So if it survives....

I may feel different about leaving so much foliage for repot.
Which will only serve to very heavily back up this Summer Rain and Wane repot for spruce.

Last thought.....

The only difference between a topiary and a Bonsai is the shape.

Yeah.....don't prune like that!

What we do is basically just more detailed pruning.

Same same.

Sorce

That dude is real stoked!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorce thanks for the comments. I ended up pinching the new growth about halfway on all the ends. I left the weaker inner growth. Right now it is still in the original Lowes pot. I am taking it slow as I learn.

20180522_185736.jpg20180522_185748.jpg20180522_185819.jpg20180522_185804.jpg

Attachments

• 20180522_185816.jpg
    20180522_185816.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 39

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet.

Nice trunk and I like the branches you kept too!

For me..these are like ticking timebombs to get into a pot....

You thinking next year?

Sorce

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Sorce I am still getting the feel for tree design. The current apex is going to get chopped eventually in favor of a thinner one.

I am open for suggestions on getting it into a pot. I think i am good with the trunk size. I want this to be a small bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have both this year an Alberta Spruce too and I have probably done some errors in the beginning cause I have styled the tree and even repot in the same time. Since that day 3 weeks have passed and now the tree is back budding. I will let him untouched for the rest of the season and perhaps leave him alone also next year or just do a minimal adjustment although I would like to repot the tree once again for better soil... I don't know yet. For now, I am doing a heavy fertilization using the Miracle Grow fertilizer seems to help.

Attachments

• IMG_9677 2.JPG
    IMG_9677 2.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8667.JPG
    IMG_8667.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom