Dwarf blue holly Little Rascal, Ilex x meservae "Mondo"

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought a cute little holly but am finding very little information about it. It is a male plant (no berries) of a dwarf mutation of "Blue Boy", a hybrid of I. rugosa and I. aquafolium. It claims to be hardy to zone 4.
The one I got is very small, pencil thin trunk in a gallon pot.
Is anyone using I. meservae in bonsai? Anything special I should know?
I realize that a dwarf is going to grow very slowly but what is the best way to maximize growth rate? Without specific information as to these I will probably find a spot in a flower bed for it for a few years. Do hollies make nebarie? Should I comb out the roots and spread them on a board (or over a rock:D)?
I have looked lots of information on yaupon but am not sure how much of it applies.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had a x mesevae for a few years, it perished for reasons I have forgotten. I think most of what you read about Japanese Holly, I. crenata and Yaupon apply. The x mesevae growth is stiff, rigid, and the wood does not bend easily, so wire while wood is young or plan on using pruning to shape tree. They are slow to trunk up, I imagine a dwarf variety would be very slow to develop caliper.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And I picked up a Scallywag for $10. More better I think.DSC_0006.JPGDSC_0009.JPG

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is mine also a meservae
Female with berrie's!
Wow, that is cut way down. When was the picture taken? i.e what time of year did you do the cut back? How big is it? I'm guessing only 4 inches tall. I am very interested in seeing more of this one and how you develop it.

I actually prefer the ones that make berries, I'm still looking for one.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, that is cut way down. When was the picture taken? i.e what time of year did you do the cut back? How big is it? I'm guessing only 4 inches tall. I am very interested in seeing more of this one and how you develop it.

I actually prefer the ones that make berries, I'm still looking for one.

Its one of my mame contest entry's i got this one from @Tentakelaertje he made the first chops i dont know when that was.
i prune it when actively growing whenever i think it needs to be pruned its just recovered from blackspot fungus so im letting it grow for now it popped some buds closer and on the trunk :)
Ill start a thread on this one after the mame contest!

Reaction score
Looking good Dennis! I think I chopped either the last spring or the second last spring I had it, but I forgot how many years ago that was...
Has it popped some of those backbuds yet? From the pic it looks like it hasn't, but I hope it has! This would be a killer micro bonsai if it had foliage down low and the roots spread out

Top Bottom