Dwarf Chinkapin Oak: Cornfed Edition

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm catching up on starting journal threads for the other trees I got planted last month.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 132605.pngScreenshot 2021-05-05 132628.png

I potted this Quercus Prinoides, Dwarf Chinkapin Oak, on 4/24/2021. It was grown from seed and was originally potted in a 80% pine-bark mixture.

20210424_161433.jpg

My goal for this tree is to thicken the trunk and develop the roots by repotting it in a larger, 5-gallon Rootmaker container with a more air-retentive soil. I realize I could plant it in the ground for maximum thickening, but I simply don't want to.

20210424_162120.jpg
The roots as I found them.

20210424_162442.jpg
After removing the thicker roots.

20210424_165338.jpg
After potting.

IMG_6837.JPGIMG_6839.JPG
Photo shoot on May 1st.

I'm using a kitchen-sink blend as a substrate. I ultimately need 50+gallons of substrate to up-pot my newly acquired trees, so using up as much of the material I have recently purchased for my soil tests was beneficial. I tweaked my soil from the previous trees I planted, removing the fine particles (fine sphagnum peat moss and #1 Grit) to increase the saturated porosity. The mix was 3:3:2:2, sifted pine bark, Turface, DE and #2 Grit.

I tested the soil's mechanical properties at 38% Saturated Porosity (air-filled space), and 25% Field Capacity (water-filled space) after draining. Hopefully it will work, because conventional substrates are difficult to find.

I will be posting separate threads for my other species that I got in pots.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sadly it is not. It did not survive winter 2022-23. Winter has been by biggest demon in bonsai so far.

I've noticed that if a tree doesn't make it through winter here on the Delmarva, it's generally because I did too much work too fast, and it was just too weak to push buds in the spring. Ignoring my trees has done wonders for their health and vigor.

Maybe that doesn't apply to your situation. Maybe you know more about bonsai than I do. Still, it can't hurt to mention what I've observed with my own trees, and you can take it or leave it.

Top Bottom