Dwarf crested iris and plant id.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seen these today heading out in the property. I dug up a couple and while I was there I seen these other plant that looked nice so some of them came home with me to. I just don't know what they are any help.

Dwarf Iris

20220416_193114.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Took me a bit to fine it. The mystery plant is rattlesnake weed or Hieracium venosum
The flowers is getting close to opening will snap a pic when they do

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think maybe the iris is dwarf lake iris, iris lacustrus, not crested iris, iris cristata.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think maybe the iris is dwarf lake iris, iris lacustrus, not crested iris, iris cristata.
Thank you for your post. It inspired me to go look up some research. Looks like the dwarf lake iris has a small area its native to around the great lakes. While mine maybe a lake iris, these were collected in the mountains of north Georgia. According to a publication by the University of Georgia, Native plants of North Georgia. They have it listed as Iris cristata. The pic they show lavender and has more white than yellow but the description says yellow bordered with white.
Some of the pics I'm finding does look like lake iris.
I guess I can say for sure is I have a dwarf iris :)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for your post. It inspired me to go look up some research. Looks like the dwarf lake iris has a small area its native to around the great lakes. While mine maybe a lake iris, these were collected in the mountains of north Georgia. According to a publication by the University of Georgia, Native plants of North Georgia. They have it listed as Iris cristata. The pic they show lavender and has more white than yellow but the description says yellow bordered with white.
Some of the pics I'm finding does look like lake iris.
I guess I can say for sure is I have a dwarf iris :)
I was guessing on the lake iris. I am familiar with i. cristata and it does not look like a typical example, although there is a lot variation within the species. All of the cristata that I have seen have much more open standards (upper 3 petals) and are shorter.
Nonetheless, cool to have collected a native iris. I hope it does well for you.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far they are still alive. Blooms have passed but still looking healthy. These will be going in the ground this weekend well maybe one will stay in its pot.

Top Bottom