Dwarf English Boxwood beginner experiment

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I found somebody on craigslist yesterday that removed their hedgerow, perhaps due to an alarming bustle, and left the shrubs on the curb. I grabbed the two smallest, the largest and four regular size, figured I'd leave the other 6 or 7 for some other chucklehead. From what I've read this is a bad time of year to do anything with plants; but they were free, i'm bored and high, Portland Oregon has pretty mild weather.
Idk if you can even bonsai this species. I figured since I had seven of them I should see if they are even worth my time to care for. I started with the largest, 3' tall, 2 1/2" trunk. I spread the branches of the foliage ball only to discover bare branches and piles of dead leaves. At that point I just kept cutting and didn't see a tree in there anywhere I could make heads or tails of. Then I just started grabbing branches and ripping them out with my bare hands. Upon closer inspection it appeared as though all the primary branches were fused together, nowhere for the little birdies to fly through. Obviously what needed to be done was I had to take out a saw and hack off most of it.
If it lives I'm thinking I still need to cut it back to the main trunk and grow all new branches, or I need to get in there with a dremel and eliminate all the small branches that fuse together and only leave a few chonkyier limbs.

Attachments

• IMG_2792 2.jpg
    IMG_2792 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Next I grabbed the smallest lil buddy, maybe 1 1/2' tall, 1 3/4-2" trunk. same deal with that one having all the twiggy branches fused together. I got a little more aggressive on this one and sawed back quite a bit. Pretty cute now, hope it lives!

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For the third one, second smallest, I left the foliage alone and just stuffed it into a chopped nursery pot, and gave it a little gansta lean. I think this one is my favorite due to the base. I'm not sure if this nebari is garbage or not. I think this one will get it's head cut off late February.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That leaves me with four to safely plant in the ground. I think two of them should get there heads cut off in late winter/early spring.
Two potted up and decapitated wrong time of year.
one potted up but not chopped.
two in the ground, but chopped in spring.
two as back up if the rest die.
seems like a solid plan?
Is it a waste of time to even bother with this species? I kind of feel like if they can't handle a little rough stuff then they don't deserve to be art.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 24

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know how you manage to drive a HamburgerTrain all over for 2 weeks without me catching a whiff of that greasy steam!

But you did.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't know how you manage to drive a HamburgerTrain all over for 2 weeks without me catching a whiff of that greasy steam!

But you did.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thanks, Sorce.
Speaking of which, I was up until 4am last night watching cartoons reading your "Bloody Box" thread, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/bloody-box.28409/page-4.
My takeaway was I need to be more aggressive with these critters. I appreciated the exhaustive photo documentation.
No update since May,
Be hard to catch a whiff of this greasy character considering your proximity to the Porcelain Palace.

-Ham

Top Bottom