Dwarf Firebush

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Anyone have any experience with Dwarf Firebush. I just picked up one that is pretty leggy. Can I do a hard prune. Will it back bud on bare branches? Should I leave some foliage and cut back slowly?20181219_103633.jpg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hamelia Patens Dwarf
Florida native
I don't have personal experience with them but I saw on general plant forum where people have cut them off at the ground and they have grown back. They are shrubs so I suspect that they do tolerate hard pruning.
I would do it at the right time though. Probably as it is waking up in the spring.

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks all. I got some advice from Ben Agresta on another site. He has a large bonsai collection (250 trees) near me. He just did a hard prune to the bare trunk on one just last week. So in guess I will follow his lead

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks all. I got some advice from Ben Agresta on another site. He has a large bonsai collection (250 trees) near me. He just did a hard prune to the bare trunk on one just last week. So in guess I will follow his lead
Any updates? Or a chance you could share the info or the link to the info page? I picked up a couple at home despot and am also attempting to develop them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Any updates? Or a chance you could share the info or the link to the info page? I picked up a couple at home despot and am also attempting to develop them.

The OP hasn't been back since 2015, but @coachspinks is still around, perhaps he can help you. I know little about this species.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The OP hasn't been back since 2015, but @coachspinks is still around, perhaps he can help you. I know little about this species.
I am still around, a little! First hand info...all I can help with is what I originally posted. However, ironically, I am currently on vacation in the panhandle of Florida and on a bike ride today I passed a couple of varieties and then get this notification! I did a little more reading and this sounds like a tough bush. I would cut back a test branch and see how it responds. From about north central on down, it sounds like it grows year round.

Top Bottom