Dwarf Hemlock

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg I acquired this dwarf hemlock from a mom and pop nursery going out of business. The tree was growing unchecked in the ground for 25-30 years. It is 48 inches tall, soil to tree top.

Living in some debate as to chopping/leaving same height. It's taper is natural. Also leaving the flame shape but trying to narrow it over the years or moving all the branches like a normal conifer and making it even more narrow.

It obviously back buds profusely, but growing out new branches like a trident is unrealistic in my lifetime. I'm currently in process of getting the soil into a good bonsai mix.
image.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Absolutely gorgeous tree! I like the height it's at right now, it's natural and it looks natural too. I think you have the right idea to only narrow the profile a bit and clean it up to create some nice "clouds" of foliage.

Again, very very nice tree.

Aaron

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking at the first picture by opening it up and expanding it a bit it looks darn nice - very natural:) Honest I would not mind having it myself and if I did I would only open it up a small amount and clean of some back budding... I really think that is all it needs! Nice find ;)

Grimmy

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hemlock is much underused in bonsai & makes a beautiful tree. I am very pleased you're still posting interesting stuff & producing quality trees. What silhouette are you aiming for - it looks very pyramidal at present.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice Hemlock, I would just clean up the foliage a bit and tighten it up some. If it's a true dwarf, it might not grow back quickly so prune minimally and cautiously. I like it pretty much as is.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice one....now that's some serious back budding which is highly unusual..... especially for its western cousins (Western and Mountain). Looks like there are enough main branches to choice from.
Good luck with it.
G.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yowzers! I was searching trying to glean some more foliage management guidance on Tsuga and stumbled across this thread. Any update?

Top Bottom