Dwarf Hinoki Cypress turning brown!! HELP!!!

ohliviyaah

Seed
Reaction score
I received this bonsai as a gift a year ago now and things were going really well. Coming up to winter in Australia and I’ve only just realised (I should’ve noticed earlier I know) that one side is turning completely brown and dry!
Is there anyway to save the plant? I love it a lot and feel pretty silly/upset that I’ve probably killed it :(
image.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
Also look inside the foliage whitening or white powder like color. Could be mites.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye. This is a good event for me. When one part is so dead, you know the green part is so alive.

Definitely not Pests unless the ringbarked a branch.
Definitely not all the roots.

Though that black side of the trunk could mean half the roots.....or half the trunk is dead.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is your USDA grow zone? or what is the coldest temperatures you expect this Winter since that's upon you soon?
Pinch out all the dead then...
If you're expecting below freezing often, and you do not have many...heal it into the ground, whole pot, and mulch it
so the surrounding soil is protected. Do not mulch the trunk but 1/3 meter diameter mulch, 4 fingers deep is gobs.
Do this on the (here in the States) North side of your home or the side that is
best protected from the most harsh winds, and protected from the Sun for the Winter can help come transitional months
like Springtime when it's trying to grow but freezing temps often still expected. Typically the side of the house that gets green algae
on the siding. The foliage will turn off coloured over Winter but should not be browned like this one portion is now.
Come Springtime new growth will colour back up nicely, and you might have a go at repotting then.

Nice dark lush growth. You have not, given us any details on your placement or care of this hinoki.
The don't like harsh winds, they balk at drying out.

ohliviyaah

Seed
Reaction score
What is your USDA grow zone? or what is the coldest temperatures you expect this Winter since that's upon you soon?
Pinch out all the dead then...
If you're expecting below freezing often, and you do not have many...heal it into the ground, whole pot, and mulch it
so the surrounding soil is protected. Do not mulch the trunk but 1/3 meter diameter mulch, 4 fingers deep is gobs.
Do this on the (here in the States) North side of your home or the side that is
best protected from the most harsh winds, and protected from the Sun for the Winter can help come transitional months
like Springtime when it's trying to grow but freezing temps often still expected. Typically the side of the house that gets green algae
on the siding. The foliage will turn off coloured over Winter but should not be browned like this one portion is now.
Come Springtime new growth will colour back up nicely, and you might have a go at repotting then.

Nice dark lush growth. You have not, given us any details on your placement or care of this hinoki.
The don't like harsh winds, they balk at drying out.

Thanks for the info! I live in Australia and where I live winter is still pretty sunny and would never get below 5’ (celsius) :)

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They need to be revolved with regularity, so that all sides get sunlight. Like every week, or more often. Do not put it against a hot wall. Sadly, they sometimes just do this. They are beautiful, but finicky trees.

Top Bottom