Dwarf holly to restyle reverse taper worth it?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This ilex schillings had what I thought would be an owls nest when I styled it years ago, had a painted wood owl bead I was going to put in there when it recovered, but healing that big protruding knot and a t-branch in the same area caused reverse taper.
Is it worth it to major restyle,,, or just bring in branches, eliminate the T, and flatten hole?
Also potted in pumice for the first time spring, very little original soil, but is now more vigorous than last year.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3030.JPG
    IMG_3030.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3031.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 77

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As long as they are well-established, they recover well to dramatic work. I think you could probably go into that hole, clean out the protruding deadwood, retrim the wound, and get a much cleaner wound that will close without such an aggressive bulge. I would probably also remove ALL the branches and trim them back to the trunk - leaving just the trunk line. You will get a lot of fresh growth that can be wired while soft and pliable - leaving you in a much better shape than you are currently.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of exposed wood, wounds will be larger when I find the dremel bits. From a side it looks like it can be restarted. I like it.
To get the best backbudding... cut the top? Trim secondary branches off it?

Attachments

• IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 77

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am usually a real dick when it comes to reverse taper, but on this holly it didn't bother me at all. Old trees often do develop reverse taper in the wild.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I should have sold it to you, penumbra! lol
I have another holly or two that are probably reverse taper because they get styled after live oaks in town and they are somewhat convincing but this one bothered me.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20230331_005448.jpg

this holly grew back a lot after chop but it was weird and all in one direction, around the top and then straight down, like it was trying to cover up its largest wound which is facing sun . Also grew very large leaves, in comparison to the others.

Top Bottom