Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello,

Attached are a couple angled pictures of this P. afra specimen I picked up online. I have already structurally pruned it, but I have a hard time deciding the trunk like and when to prune. Also, how do I make the trunk line smooth from the stumps of previous cuts? Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20211109_224939590.jpg
    PXL_20211109_224939590.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20211109_224928228.jpg
    PXL_20211109_224928228.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The stubs will dry up and fall off on their own, so you shouldn’t have to do much. Careful on watering over the winter, that is a lot of pot for that tree, keep it on the dryer side, and in the spring you can prune to shape before the growth starts. I usually prune early summer.

Don’t be alarmed if some of the leaves fall over winter and reduce watering. They are drought tolerant and the biggest hazard over winter is root rot due to constant damp soi

Picture is a 2 year old cutting from a clump I got at The Depot late 2019.
5A7D7756-76CB-4C1A-8352-594689778909.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The stubs will dry up and fall off on their own, so you shouldn’t have to do much. Careful on watering over the winter, that is a lot of pot for that tree, keep it on the dryer side, and in the spring you can prune to shape before the growth starts. I usually prune early summer.

Don’t be alarmed if some of the leaves fall over winter and reduce watering. They are drought tolerant and the biggest hazard over winter is root rot due to constant damp soi

Picture is a 2 year old cutting from a clump I got at The Depot late 2019.
View attachment 407380
Any musings on the trunk line?

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
not a lot there to speak about right now. Assuming you repotted this recently, just let it grow and see where the strength in the tree takes it. Left pic looks good as a consideration, but really, you just want to get it pushing out all over and take what it gives you. Being as far north as you are these aren’t going to be really aggressive growers, so you want to let it get full and ramped up before you get to make big changes.

good luck!

Top Bottom