dwarf jade fertilizer (portulacaria afra)

flakesn

Seed
Reaction score
i recently purchased a mature dwarf jade on a whim for my birthday, and have been researching as much as i can ever since. i think i’m getting the hang of it in general

one thing i am struggling to find consistent answers on is fertilisation. from the garden centre i also purchased a small vial of “bonsai drip feeder” which i will add an image of (if i can figure out how >_< ) i have since found out that dwarf jades aren’t traditional bonsai and more of a succulent (?)

so my question to you all is, what are the basics around fertilising a dwarf jade? what? when? how much? and is it even necessary?

i have also inserted an image of my tree in case you can see any dramatic mistakes i am making. this is a south facing window.

thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 66
  • 29346A9B-9D08-477A-8588-9C929FAE7D9E.jpeg
    29346A9B-9D08-477A-8588-9C929FAE7D9E.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 68

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What kind of soil is it in? I used miracle gro with mine. lots of it. Dunno anything about the "Bonsai drip"...

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Ports love Nitrogen, so any fertilizer with high "N" will work, the higher the better!
all year around!

flakesn

Seed
Reaction score
Ports love Nitrogen, so any fertilizer with high "N" will work, the higher the better!
all year around!
can you suggest how frequently? all other sources said avoid fertilising in the winter

flakesn

Seed
Reaction score
What kind of soil is it in? I used miracle gro with mine. lots of it. Dunno anything about the "Bonsai drip"...
not sure what it’s potted in, whatever the centre used. it looks fairly varied and similar to what people suggest online and in youtube videos etc. thanks for the suggestion of miracle gro. i’ll look into that when it needs repotting (im not sure when that will be necessary)

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I use 3-4 tablespoons organic fert on the soil every month from march- nov while feeding every week with full strength miracle grow. When its hot, Ill usually water every day from march-nov as well, but when its really hot ill let it dry out for a few days then pound it with more blue juice.

Mine is in really well draining soil though, just lava/pumice/8822. I dont recommend that aggressive fertilizing with any organic soil.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice lookin’ Porty!

I think whether or not you fertilize in winter depends a bit on how you intend to over winter. I have to bring mine inside for the winter, where they get substantially less light than they do outside in full sun spring-fall. So for me, I cut way back on watering and fertilizer in the winter.

If you are in a tropical location maybe that would be different.

If you’re going to grow it exclusively indoors in that window, I don’t really have any experience to offer.

During the “growing season,” I fertilize with Biogold (same as all my other trees) organic cakes. I apply it very liberally.

flakesn

Seed
Reaction score
Nice lookin’ Porty!

I think whether or not you fertilize in winter depends a bit on how you intend to over winter. I have to bring mine inside for the winter, where they get substantially less light than they do outside in full sun spring-fall. So for me, I cut way back on watering and fertilizer in the winter.

If you are in a tropical location maybe that would be different.

If you’re going to grow it exclusively indoors in that window, I don’t really have any experience to offer.

During the “growing season,” I fertilize with Biogold (same as all my other trees) organic cakes. I apply it very liberally.
thank you for your response.
what do you consider “growing season” ? everyone seems to say different. and i will look into biogold, i appreciate the suggestion!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
what do you consider “growing season” ? everyone seems to say different. and i will look into biogold, i appreciate the suggestion!

Let us know the area that you live in, it will help a lot.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

By “growing season,” I mean the time that mine are outside and in full sun. Given that p. afra can withstand temps of 40 F (and lower, but generally I don’t test my luck too much) that means approx. April-October for me, with some outside-garage shuffling for frost protection.

Top Bottom