Dwarf Jade - Need help on pruning and future look!

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey guys, i got this Dwarf Jade as a birthday present and i am really stuck on which direction i should go. I'm not expert on pruning and can't decide what to do with it. I think the main problem is that the trunk is way too long/thick for shaping and wiring. I would highly appreciate if you help me and show me the cut points on the pictures. Much love ❤️

Attachments

• F0067B00-44EF-498F-AE3B-5517FB059D3E.jpeg
    F0067B00-44EF-498F-AE3B-5517FB059D3E.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 0A5C6EFD-79AB-4452-9F28-6BF4C60CD306.jpeg
    0A5C6EFD-79AB-4452-9F28-6BF4C60CD306.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 76

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Jade is mostly clip and grow. Eat cut can produce two shoots. Feel free to let it grow out then cut back.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All depends on what style/look you want to get out of it.
I really don't know to be honest i'm in need of a good advisor. Like what would you do if you were me? I kinda wanna cut the upper left corner in the first pic

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really don't know to be honest i'm in need of a good advisor. Like what would you do if you were me? I kinda wanna cut the upper left corner in the first pic

It wouldn't be a lot, but you could cut the stems, cutting off either 2 or 4 leaves, then just leave it to grow. You need a bit more to work with. I have a ton of baby jade, and the ones I have like yours are being left alone. Not fun now but will produce a better long term outcome.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It wouldn't be a lot, but you could cut the stems, cutting off either 2 or 4 leaves, then just leave it to grow. You need a bit more to work with. I have a ton of baby jade, and the ones I have like yours are being left alone. Not fun now but will produce a better long term outcome.
I am always cutting those stems up to 2-4 leaves but thats just regular pruning. As i have said i really can't estimate what my tree would look like in the future. Guess i'll cut the upper left part and see what happens. When do you suggest to hard pruning this species?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would chop it low, there's too much long boring trunk before there are any branches. Make a bunch of cuttings.
Like a middle chop? I don't think it can survive that? 😐

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it might surprise you and do just fine with a low chop as long as you don't over water it.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You can do this at any time.
Don’t chop too low or your cutting will still have too long of trunk. I’d let The cutting dry out for a week or so, once callused, put in free draining soil and water as normal.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You can do this at any time.
Don’t chop too low or your cutting will still have too long of trunk. I’d let The cutting dry out for a week or so, once callused, put in free draining soil and water as normal.
Thank you so much i guess i'll try that. Probably gonna cut above the lowest two branches and let them grow for a year

Pepibom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have just planted some cuttings and wanted to know if jades respond well to being cut back hard to no green? The limbs in this cutting are long and leggy (I cut them back to leaves for now) and I would like for them to get closer to the trunk without losing them of course. I seem to remember some club member saying “bah! You can cut them down to wherever you like and they’ll grow back!” Just want your opinions on this before I do something stupid. IMG_4182.jpeg

DebrahN.

Seed
Reaction score
If you're worried, cut half of those long, wavy 'limbs' back to just above where they come out of the previous branch. You'll see them push out new little leaves in a couple weeks and when those have gotten bigger, then cut back the other long wavy limbs. I had a large jade (not the P.A.) that grew outside all summer and it had a nice thick trunk and a few months ago, I whacked everything off to the main branches, not a leaf on it, and it's now leafing out very well. Just slower because it's winter. I can't see why a P.A. would behave any differently.

Top Bottom