Dwarf Jade

AATew

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My first post, so be kind :)
I bought this dwarf jade today and was looking for a few answers if possible.
one, is this a cork bark jade?
two, I know it will need a Lot of work and time, any suggestions on shaping it?
the guy working at the nursery said at one time it had been getting too much water and the no water. The soil was bone dry and it is root bound in the pot.
I live in central Florida near Tampa, zone 9b.
Thanks in advance for any answers :)

Attachments

• 20191212_145806.jpg
    20191212_145806.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 91
  • 20191212_145818.jpg
    20191212_145818.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20191212_145829.jpg
    20191212_145829.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 90

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
one, is this a cork bark jade?
two, I know it will need a Lot of work and time, any suggestions on shaping it?
1. It’s doesn’t look like it currently, but it takes several years to get the texture. The “cork” form are all cuttings from a single mother or set of mothers. So unless sold as a corker, they likely aren’t. Yours isn’t completely smooth, but I’ve seen some variety in texture and color hues on the stems. Especially when they are stressed or damaged.

2. Slanting to the right! I think I’d reduced the stems to a couple inch stubs where they start to divide from the main. I’d also remove the lowest stem on left. Then grow out the secondaries and as they back bud, keep the growth tight and start pruning to divide branches. All while letting a sacrifice portion of the stem grow to thicken it. Once you remove the sacrifices and have tertiary branching dividing for pads and canopy, then you can completely defoliate in the height of the growing season. You will get a profusion of back budding and smaller leaves.

But you have to start with a healthy vigorous plant and yours seems sparse. Tampa appears to have a 70F to 55F temp range in the “winter” and you could probably repot a healthy plant in that weather. But I’d wait until you start getting some new growth and warmer nights (>60F). In the meantime, get it in full sun and focus on correct watering. If it hasn’t been raining, I’d submerge the whole pot for several minutes to really get the entire rootball soaked. Then sparse watering until it is actively growing.

When you eventually repot, cut through the top mat of roots until you find that basal flare and reduce the side roots for strong nebari. But you don’t have to go hard on the rest of the root mass since you need it to regrow the top. Once you are done with those sacrifices then you can get it into a shallower container.

Happy growing!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Read up on Jade trees. They hold a lot of moisture in those pulp like leaves. The trees do better when the soil area area is damp-to-dry. But I’m probably not explaining that clearly. Best to read from experts. I had....a Jade tree....watered it really well and found that it really did not like a lot of wet soil. Leaves and stems turned yellow and mushy quickly. The end. And, then I read about watering after I did that. So.....read about watering first....based on the soil or substrate you’re using. I’m certain there are some experienced Jade tree owners here...hopefully a few of them reply.

You might also Google Jade tree care. You’ll find care tips like this...note that last line...monthly.
Light: Jade plants prefer full sun and like four or more hours of sunlight each day. They are best in a room with south-facing windows. Water: During the summer and spring, jade plants should be watered often so the soil is moist but not wet, making sure drainage is immaculate. Reduce watering to monthly in the winter.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reduce watering to monthly in the winter.
Good tips for indoors. But the OP is near Tampa, so his plant should remain outdoors in full sun year round. Watering shouldn’t be on a schedule but as needed. With these Dwarf Jade (should be called false jade) Portulacaria afra, the only time I withhold water for outdoor plants is after major root work from repotting or when establishing cuttings.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good tips for indoors. But the OP is near Tampa, so his plant should remain outdoors in full sun year round. Watering shouldn’t be on a schedule but as needed. With these Dwarf Jade (should be called false jade) Portulacaria afra, the only time I withhold water for outdoor plants is after major root work from repotting or when establishing cuttings.
Florida. Good point. Thanks.
I remember overwatering my Jade.....in summer months....not winter months....that’s what killed it. It was a good sized tree too....the trunk at soil level was about 4” diameter. I learned.

AATew

Seed
Reaction score
I have a few smaller ones, one got root rot from too much water, so its now a cutting starting to get new growth.
I've read quite a bit about them along with other species (tropical tree's)
My main thing was about the cork bark and shaping the tree, being new to this its quite a lot to learn, but first I want it to be healthy :)

Thanks for the replies and if anyone has more ideas on shaping I'm open to hearing those as I bought an even larger port today.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Suggest cutting it back down to roughly half its current height and spread then let it regrow and meanwhile plant all the best shaped offcuts in gritty soil then youll have plenty of choices when theyre all rooted!! no need to buy any more plants as theyre so easy to root LOL

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

After it's healthy again....

I'd take a bunch of cuttings.

You may be able to chop it back to a future trunkline, but nothing's jumping out.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They can be kept pretty small and tight.
This is a cutting from the above. Actually, some idiot broke a branch bending it about 10 years ago.

Top Bottom