Dwarf Jade

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
is it still possible to re pot a dwarf jade at this time.?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will depend on how much and size of the roots you have to remove, along with the upcoming temperature and precipitation.

If you have to make major cuts (>1-2”?) or are removing a majority of the roots, then I think I would wait until the middle of the growing season.

Is your weather and climate average accurate to the below forecast and graph? Your current weather and overnight lows look warm enough to keep it growing. But your average lows for Oct. are 46F. If it gets that cold in the next 2-3 weeks, you may lose growth momentum. P. afra doesn’t callus and instead compartmentalizes and heals from the inside out. If it can’t grow enough to seal off large cuts, then they may rot. No matter when you repot, make sure you let an really large cut dry out for a few hours or longer to avoid rot. Then also do not water until you see new signs of growth and water sparingly after that.

Attachments

• 6264F1A8-0FC7-4F90-84D1-3C9C48E37386.jpeg
    6264F1A8-0FC7-4F90-84D1-3C9C48E37386.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2DADA29E-CF01-436A-9193-8632E8D99565.jpeg
    2DADA29E-CF01-436A-9193-8632E8D99565.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 5

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wait.

Sorce

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It will depend on how much and size of the roots you have to remove, along with the upcoming temperature and precipitation.

If you have to make major cuts (>1-2”?) or are removing a majority of the roots, then I think I would wait until the middle of the growing season.

Is your weather and climate average accurate to the below forecast and graph? Your current weather and overnight lows look warm enough to keep it growing. But your average lows for Oct. are 46F. If it gets that cold in the next 2-3 weeks, you may lose growth momentum. P. afra doesn’t callus and instead compartmentalizes and heals from the inside out. If it can’t grow enough to seal off large cuts, then they may rot. No matter when you repot, make sure you let an really large cut dry out for a few hours or longer to avoid rot. Then also do not water until you see new signs of growth and water sparingly after that.
thanks for you info. appreciate it

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Im thinking of slip potting the tree to a larger container, it seems water logged and noticed no active growth for the last 2 -3months .Wanted to add a little good soil drainage before winter comes. What do you think?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slip Not!

Slip Nothing!

I believe these take rather invasive repottings better than most others things. So of there are zero reasons to slip pot anything else, these would have a negative number of reasons.

The problem with this period, for me anyhow, is the rather uncontrolled temperatures inside till the heat is on. You'd probably be ok repotting it for real once inside gets out of this swing time, but still then you're probably better off waiting till more regular warm weather in late spring.

Slip Never!

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
, it seems water logged and noticed no active growth for the last 2 -3months .
What do you mean by “water-logged”? If water is not percolating and draining through the substrate, then slip potting will probably not help. The water will just shed from the rootball and run through the open soil on the edges. It will stay too wet and the inner will stay to dry and you likely won’t get growth anyway.

These succulents can sometimes develop such a thick mat of fine roots on the surface of the container that it actually inhibits drainage. In lieu of a major repot, you can try removing this thing layer of matted, compacted roots and soil at surface. Then water and see how it drains. You can then add some fresh soil to the pot of the pot. But make sure to check under it for watering indicators. Also, you could soak the entire container for short period (~10min) of time and then got back to normal watering as needed.

When I have one not adding new growth, it is usually because it is completely rootbound in a small container and I am not watering enough.

You might also consider removing it to inspect the outer rootball for root aphids or root mealybugs which love succulent roots.

Maybe some pictures would help.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Slip Not!

Slip Nothing!

I believe these take rather invasive repottings better than most others things. So of there are zero reasons to slip pot anything else, these would have a negative number of reasons.

The problem with this period, for me anyhow, is the rather uncontrolled temperatures inside till the heat is on. You'd probably be ok repotting it for real once inside gets out of this swing time, but still then you're probably better off waiting till more regular warm weather in late spring.

Slip Never!

Sorce
thanks

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What do you mean by “water-logged”? If water is not percolating and draining through the substrate, then slip potting will probably not help. The water will just shed from the rootball and run through the open soil on the edges. It will stay too wet and the inner will stay to dry and you likely won’t get growth anyway.

These succulents can sometimes develop such a thick mat of fine roots on the surface of the container that it actually inhibits drainage. In lieu of a major repot, you can try removing this thing layer of matted, compacted roots and soil at surface. Then water and see how it drains. You can then add some fresh soil to the pot of the pot. But make sure to check under it for watering indicators. Also, you could soak the entire container for short period (~10min) of time and then got back to normal watering as needed.

When I have one not adding new growth, it is usually because it is completely rootbound in a small container and I am not watering enough.

You might also consider removing it to inspect the outer rootball for root aphids or root mealybugs which love succulent roots.

Maybe some pictures would help.
thanks for your instructions, will post pics soon

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is as bad as you describe, I would bare root it, cut it back hard, plant in in good bonsai soil and winter it under a bright grow light in a warm room.

Top Bottom