Dwarf Kingsville or Morris Midget?

JROD3737

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this bonsai from a seller on Ebay who stated it was a dwarf Kingsville Boxwood, however Ive recently recently learned that a morris midget looks just like it only the leaves differ? What did I end up buying, Can anyone ID this plant?IMG_2668.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It looks regular to me...
Lessin that pot is 2inches long.

But I don't know!

Someone does!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It looks like the triple trunk I sold on ebay for $15.59 on March 27. If you aren't happy with it you are welcome to send it back.
It was listed as Kingsville because the cuttings were taken from a Kingsville parent tree. Boxwood species vary, so it isn't an exact science.
If you did buy it from me, I did not intend to mislead you or rip you off for $16.

JROD3737

Seedling
Reaction score
I didn't feel misled in anyway. The tree looks good, I was just curious as to whether it was another sort of boxwood besides a kingsville. The leaves seem a little more round on this tree, that's all. It's doing great and has a new pot as you can see. Thanks

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've had both, do not think it is a Kingsville. The leaves on a Kingville grow more convexed and not as round as you mentioned.

JROD3737

Seedling
Reaction score
What do you think it is? There is an image attached. I just want to know what kind of boxwood it is... I'm intrigued now.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Don knows his stuff, if he says its a Kingsville, I would take that bet over any Internet guess from a photo. Remember young trees growing rapidly will have much bigger and broader foliage. Once bonsai techniques are applied and growth is slowed foliage will reduce and change shape some. Leaves may reduce to 1/10th the current size. Then it will look like an internet Kingsville. Right now your tree needs to grow, so keep it growing. You need foliage and vigorous growth for a few years to thicken that trunk.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a true Kingsville. Leaves are too large and the wrong shape...

"Kingsville" boxwood has become loosely defined to incorporate several kinds of boxwood, but true Kingsville has tiny more lance shaped leaves and extremely tight growth. We have quite a bit of it here in the Md./D.C./N. Va. area since it was 'discovered' at a Maryland nursery about 100 years ago or so and entered the bonsai world in the 1960's.

If you look closely down in the following link, you will see one of the originals used for bonsai propagation.

https://capitalbonsai.wordpress.com/tag/boxwood/

Last edited:
Top Bottom