Dwarf Maple Shohin Styling Advice

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi All - I picked this dwarf maple up Saturday after walking by it several times over the course of the day. I saw something in it or at the very least something I'd like to work on and improve. I've got some ideas for where to take it but I would love some advice or suggestions!

The main trunkline I envisioned as flowing from the trunk, up the right fork, past that initial branch on the right hand side. Where I think it needs improved is a drastic shortening as there is not much taper beyond that point. If you see the even smaller branch above the "first branch" on the right that may be a good new leader? Or would it be better to take it to the left and select a brand new leader after a "chop"?

On the left fork I was thinking of trying to bring it down more horizontal. With wire or possible otherwise.

The back has a very oddly placed branch right in the center. All three are growing from the same spot on the trunk and I believe it should be removed before it causes too much swelling at that point. Correct?

The left side branches have a couple spots where three branches originate from the same point. You can see that in the closeup shot. I'm thinking of eliminating the center "branch" to have some good bifurcation.

As for the trunk...maybe a ground layer to shorten it up? It seems like it is fairly tall and straight. Planting at at angle may help with the movement as well. Left or Right?

I know that was a lot of questions but I figured more detail the better. Appreciate the help in advance!

"The Front"
20200914_143724.jpg

"Front Closeup"
20200914_143746.jpg

"The Back"
20200914_143733.jpg

"The Trunk"
20200914_143753.jpg
"The left side branching"
20200914_143803.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would chop/ layer everything but smallest branch At the fork, and let it run for a few years while starting the nebari over (unless its already decent to your liking)

Chopping to the weakest branch usually develops the most taper.

You could develop a slingshot broom at the fork removing the smallest branch but you would still want to chop back hard if you are after taper.

I personally feel some slingshot brooms can be Contrived, but thats my own personal opinion.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would chop/ layer everything but smallest branch At the fork, and let it run for a few years while starting the nebari over (unless its already decent to your liking)

Chopping to the weakest branch usually develops the most taper.

You could develop a slingshot broom at the fork removing the smallest branch but you would still want to chop back hard if you are after taper.

I personally feel some slingshot brooms can be Contrived, but thats my own personal opinion.

Interesting idea on generating taper by keeping that smallest back branch. I can see where you're going with it for sure and layering off the two thicker branches would be a neat project.

As for the broom... I found this kiyohime example by @MACH5

Not too dissimilar in primary branch placement to the tree I've got at present?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon that thread is old enough to ask Mach if he would have a different approach now.

Seems you could successfully keep any 2 branches.

It didn't look so small till I noticed the hand. Nice!

Sorce

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I reckon that thread is old enough to ask Mach if he would have a different approach now.

Seems you could successfully keep any 2 branches.

It didn't look so small till I noticed the hand. Nice!

Sorce

Thanks for the response Sorce! Took your advice also and pm'd Mach to see if he could provide some commentary on his tree/this tree.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Interesting idea on generating taper by keeping that smallest back branch. I can see where you're going with it for sure and layering off the two thicker branches would be a neat project.

As for the broom... I found this kiyohime example by @MACH5

Not too dissimilar in primary branch placement to the tree I've got at present?

I guess, but his look like it was chopped back hard or pruned early to have that graceful split.

Top Bottom