Dwarf mountain mahogany

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
A friend gave me this little tree this morning. It is a naturally dwarf mountain mahogany. Originally discovered in the Las Vegas area and propagated by cuttings for a while at USU. They are not available commercially. This one is just under nine inches tall. It has been in this 1 gallon pot for a few years now. I will keep it like this until spring and spend some time pondering options. I don't want to mess this one up as I won't get another chance. Suggestions are welcome. You can see how tiny the leaves are and they look more like needles than leaves. There is a little movement in the lower trunk but not much. I should be able to wire the branches and get some movement there.

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks like my pictures didn't post. I will try again though I don't know what I am doing. One of those old guy technophobes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like my pictures didn't post. I will try again though I don't know what I am doing. One of those old guy technophobes.
Just drag and drop your image from your desktop into your post. Once it is in your post, you can resize it by grabbing one of the corners and dragging diagonally. Super easy... once you know that's what you're supposed to do :)

thin.jpg

thin.jpg

thin.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was waiting for that pic. LOL
Good to know they propagate by cuttings well. There's a big curl leaf mountain mahogany in my yard (took me forever to identify it because they're rare on this side of the continental divide) and I was hoping to try my hand at air layering it this spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was waiting for that pic. LOL
Good to know they propagate by cuttings well. There's a big curl leaf mountain mahogany in my yard (took me forever to identify it because they're rare on this side of the continental divide) and I was hoping to try my hand at air layering it this spring.
Cuttings root readily as well, go for both. I’ve seen them ground layer

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cuttings root readily as well, go for both. I’ve seen them ground layer
Just saw your post in that other thread.

Unfortunately my air layer didn't make it through last winter, and my hardwood cuttings were plagued by mold and did nothing.
I'd jump at a chance to try again, but I no longer have access to the tree even if it hadn't been chopped down over the summer.😞

Top Bottom