Dwarf Mugo Pine - Repotting question

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up two dwarf mugo pine nursery stock this past week that was just stocked at the local big box hardware store. I had initially planned on just waiting until late winter/early spring to repot, but am currently considering if it would be okay to repot now. Based off the mugo pine resource relating to Vance's suggestions, it looks like the recommendation is to repot up until the end of August, but that's fast approaching obviously. If based on temperature, our long-term average here for September is about 74°F and the average first freeze is about November 1st.

Thank you all for the help!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was going to suggest the same - why not do one now and the other in the spring and compare results? Personally I only repot pines in the spring but to each their own…

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do it now.

But, you've got two, so you could do one now and the other in spring and see for yourself.
Oh, I definitely trust Vance and his years of experience. I see that I could've have clarified better as the question was to more do with whether or not it was too late to do so more than anything.

Also, if I've read correctly from reading through various posts, I can cut the bottom half of the roots off and do a half bare root at the same time? If someone could confirm, that would be greatly appreciated!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon it'll be ok so long as you leave the top full to grow new roots.

Where's the moon at?

Better to wait for an "appropriate" transplanting day according to the Lunar Almanac. Or just wait till it's waning.

If you cut the top up, you risk depleted energy making it give up. They have a greater obligation to die and feed the forest than to live for themselves.

Sorce

Top Bottom