Dwarf peach tree airlayering.....

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have this dwarf prunus persica (with really very appealing flowering) , grafted over some rootstock.

IMG_20211212_130242.jpg
I plan to make an airlayering to get this part:

IMG_20211212_130022_LI.jpg
I can make the top of the airlayering cut on the level of the peach, (red line), half the peach half rootstock (blue line) or at the rootstock (brown).
So, is it a good idea to make an airlayering ?, and if so, wich level and why?​

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I recall correctly, there have been discussions previously about the difficulty in getting peach to air-layer. One possibility is to try layering just below the graft, to improve chances. Of course, this also depends on which variety the rootstock is.

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Maybe air layer above that first branch just to be safe, so something is still feeding the existing roots in the meantime? I'm planning an air layer on a red baron peach tree this coming spring, with the same strategy. 🤞

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting question. Following along because I'm curious to hear people's answers!

If you make the top cut at the blue line, maybe you'll find that one species puts out roots better or faster than the other. It would be an interesting experiment.

But aesthetically, I would enjoy this tree the most if you can make sure the graft is hidden...which probably means air layering pretty close to that red line. It would be a bummer to go through the airlayering process and realize three years down the road that the graft union is still visible.

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It would be a bummer to go through the airlayering process and realize three years down the road that the graft union is still visible.
I think if the graft union ends up within an inch or two from the soil line, you could later raise the soil line to promote rooting above it. The hard part seems to be getting the initial air layer to take. So far, I've found prunus air layering to be a challenge. They've calloused quickly, but never gotten very far beyond that.

Top Bottom