Dwarf Pomegranate Winter Care

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone, I just was wondering about how to care for two Dwarf variety Pomegranates I acquired about a month ago. I had Purchase two Emperor and one Party Dress Dwarf Pomegranates. I was just wondering if there are any of you out there that might have some personal experience with any of the two as far as winter care, if you live in the Midwest like me even better? If I take care of them the usual way it would be to allow the foliage to drop and then place it in my garage where I would make sure the temps don't drop any lower than 20 degrees by use of a heater if necessary. I had read what Brent had posted about them (Evergreen Gardenworks) and it sounds like the Emperor Variety might be very cold climate tolerant which was one of the reasons I purchased them, but as far as actual information on either of the two there is not much on the web. Any one with advice feel free to chime in. Thanks

-Mike

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nobody want to chime in???

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

Here in Albuquerque, NM we had a very cold winter this year. Down to O on a few nights.
Two landscape poms appeared to die back completely. They have recently started to send out some low shoots though. I'd think that if you have anywhere near that cold of weather, you want an unheat shed or garage to overwinter them. But I'd think someone more local to you could provide better advice.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Reaction score
I've looked for you as well and haven't found much in the way of cold weather and poms., only thing I have found was saying they didn't like the cold very much. That was probally for a different variety then you have.
good luck

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brent's web site says the Emperor variety is apparently cold tolerant to 18 to 10 degrees with minimal protection. He doesn't really say if that is in containers or in the ground. I've found you lose at least ten degrees of cold tolerance when a plant is placed in a container. This depends on species, though. The thing to remember is root protection.

Since poms are native to Mediterranean areas, which are bright sunny and on the dry side, exposing them outside in containers in a Northern winter is problematic. A cold greenhouse would be ideal, but your plan to keep them in a garage that doesn't drop below 20 is probably a good plan. I would, however, mulch them inside the garage to protect against the worst cold.

You will have some issues with developing the trees, since they can't be grown out in the ground without leaving them outside in the winter. Emperor is apparently a very slow-growing variety, which means you may have a very long development period to get a good trunk on your trees.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I would have liked to get some stock that was a little more developed With the Emperor variety than I did but I just had such a hard time finding what I could. I would have just brought both varieties indoors and treated them as Tropicals over winter, but from what little I was able to find on them it seems like they will need a dormant period to grow and keep their health at optimal levels.

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Overwintering

I keep mine in the garage in the winter after the leaves have fallen and temps at night are below 30f.

Larix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Mike: My Nana Emperor poms stayed out in the cold frame all winter. Temps last year were below freezing for over 2 months and cold frame was snow covered from Dec to Mar. Lowest temps were below 0F for a few days. I might add that they were very slow in coming back this year, so much so that I thought they were done for. This may have been as a result of a late freeze in early April after I had brought them out and repotted.

Top Bottom