Dwarf Pomegranate

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I found dwarf pomegranate at a local nursery on sale for half off. While the trunk isn't very thick, the amount of movement in it made it worth the $12.50 price tag to me. I suspect that it's to late in the summer to re-pot this plant into better soil, but what it's in doesn't seem too bad so I'll wait till next year to move it. In the mean time I'm gonna try to do a virt of what I'm thinking style-wise (I may have to find a place to take a picture with a better background).

*Edit* Forgot to mention, any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• P7112010_1.jpg
    P7112010_1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 229
  • P7112010_3.jpg
    P7112010_3.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 204

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
I'll put it in the garden to thicken up and they do that very slowly unless you plan to make a very small bonsai out of it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have the makings of a decent cascade there...

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Snobird, I would like to plant this in the ground to thicken it up a bit, but at least for now that's not really an option because I'm hoping to move soon. If I move before I re-pot it next spring then I will plant it in the ground, but if not then I'll put it in an extra large pot. Either way, I agree with you that this little guy needs some beefing up.

Rockm, that's an interesting idea. Looking at the first picture, I'm guessing your talking about changing the planting angle so that the trunk leaves the ground sticking straight up or maybe a little to the right, and then having the cascade go off to the right. I hadn't even thought about different planting angles. Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I'm guessing your talking about changing the planting angle so that the trunk leaves the ground sticking straight up or maybe a little to the right, and then having the cascade go off to the right. I hadn't even thought about different planting angles."

Not only that, the branch growing to the left at the bend is ready made for an apex branch on a cascade (or more accurately, semi-cascade).

The trunk on this won't work for much else without looking rather odd...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What is the caliper of the trunk now? I have a few that I bought on clearance at Lowe's for just over $1.

One great thing about them is they root like mad from cuttings. I did five this year just putting some branches I pruned in a pot and watering them. Three out of five are doing well. Got 100% the year before using bottom heat and a propagator.

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Darn! I read your post last night and meant to measure the trunk size this morning, but I forgot. Was to worried about getting eaten by mosquitoes. I would estimate the trunk at a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I'll try to remember to get a better measurement tonight.

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I used a tape measure to verify my calibrated eye and it turns out the above estimations are correct, the trunk is approximately 3/4 of an inch at the base and 1/2 an inch at the sharp bend.

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Question on this plant:

Would right now be an acceptable time to re-pot it? Some of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off, while others are a rather pale shade of green. I'm concerned that the soil it's in (what it came in from the nursery) is holding to much water. I've started watering it less in an effort to keep it from suffering any root damage (or any more as the case may be) but it seems to me that re-potting it in the same type of soil I'm using on my other plants would make it much easier to water it correctly.

We also had a bit of a cold front last week so it's possible that this is just a seasonal change that I'm over analyzing but that just doesn't quite fit to me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given the time of year and what you've described, I'd put my money on seasonal change. Leaf change in decidous trees is not triggered by temperature, but by day length. The shortening day length (which actually starts in June) "tells" trees to begin preparing for dormancy. So it really doesn't make a huge difference if you've not had colder weather.

Given this tree is not native to your area, it will probably not have exactly the same kinds of growth pattern as the natives...

Top Bottom