Dwarf Post Oak - Quercus margarettae

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently got back from a trip out to Texas hill country, which is always nice. While out there, we got the chance to visit Hill Country State Natural Area, a beautiful state preserve that had loads of hiking and horseback riding trails. While out on a hike I came across a dwarf post oak. Now living in Texas, I’m very familiar with post oak, but I guess I’ve never seen or paid attention to there being a dwarf variety. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the leaf. The one I found had leaves probably around 3” and fairly tight internodes.

A3E33278-F736-4987-81C1-6AAD18E730DF.jpeg
5A6EF465-294C-4F0B-9FBD-BF9EB27BC5E9.jpeg

I couldn’t find any threads on them, so figured I’d start one to 1. bring more awareness to the species as a potential bonsai candidate 2. see if anyone is growing one!

I think I’m gonna try to get some seeds ordered as I’ve never seen this offered in any nurseries near me, but they obviously thrive here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting, didn't know there was a dwarf form of post oak. Always loved the trunks of the post oaks down there. Had a huge, old one in the back 30 acres of my parents' place. Spectacular thick, plated bark. Dense shade.

The dwarf variety apparently grows up into Southern Va. Likewise, never seen them in nurseries or noticed them in the wild. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one that I thought was a sand post oak, which I found growing in sand along a steep river bank near my parents' house in Maryland. The leaves are similar, but larger. I had never seen anything like it before, but I could tell it was some kind of oak, so I collected it. It's still in a big pot at my parents' place. I'll have to snap a picture when I'm there this weekend.

It's been very tolerant of severe root pruning. As you can imagine, I didn't manage to collect much of a root ball from a tree growing in sand, and then my parents' dog knocked it out of the pot and broke off the remaining roots. It was basically a big cutting. By the end of the summer, it had several inches of growth on top, and the roots appear to have quickly regrown. It's growing well this year, too.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While leaves not much Post Oaky still is cool looking tree🤗. Much fortune.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one that I thought was a sand post oak, which I found growing in sand along a steep river bank near my parents' house in Maryland. The leaves are similar, but larger. I had never seen anything like it before, but I could tell it was some kind of oak, so I collected it. It's still in a big pot at my parents' place. I'll have to snap a picture when I'm there this weekend.

It's been very tolerant of severe root pruning. As you can imagine, I didn't manage to collect much of a root ball from a tree growing in sand, and then my parents' dog knocked it out of the pot and broke off the remaining roots. It was basically a big cutting. By the end of the summer, it had several inches of growth on top, and the roots appear to have quickly regrown. It's growing well this year, too.

Any idea what this is?

58DEE32B-9953-4432-8FAC-6D9B138EF9AD.jpeg

5F2D3CC6-7AC3-4121-AE39-1B588FD0D1E2.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Believe or not looks much like Blackjack Oak. Often BJ Oak leaves more "loby" than picture of ideal leaf🤨. Possibly hybrid with another tree. Any idea of parent tree where collected?

We have blackjack oaks in the area, and that's actually what I thought this one was at first, but the leaves looked off at the time of collection, so I continued to look into it until I stumbled onto some pictures of sand post oaks, and some of the leaves were almost a perfect match. Looking at it now, it does look like it could be a blackjack oak. Oaks are known to be promiscuous, so it could also be a hybrid of some other species. I have a bunch of seedlings from Quercus alba acorns that are looking more like Quercus montana.

Last edited:
Top Bottom