Dwarf Rhodie

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinned out at least half the buds and light trim. Seems happy and also seems quite bendy/flexible this time of year? I feel like it could be a good time to wire a couple errant branches needing some change. I've read conflicting info regarding this and their thin bark over cold winter.

Advice? Thanks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've read conflicting info regarding this and their thin bark over cold winter.
One side is total BS. If you don't have related experiences that allow you to deduce which, you will need to wire and position some branches, then leave it over winter to possibly know who is telling you the truth. I would bet unwired branches will be okay and that some that were wired won't.

btw, one can crack azalea branches, with relative ease, pretty much any time of year - a cracked branch is a dead branch wire or not.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one needs an update. One of a dozen or so I took with me to Florida for a jump start on spring for better or worse.
My daughter found this pot in her new house and gave to me. Thought it may look good with the purple flowers coming soon. I hope it's frost proof.
I can't seem to get much of an apex going yet. I'm playing with this dropped branch I'd considered pruning off. I can see live veins swelling like a juniper or yew.
IMG_20200218_084501704.jpgIMG_20200218_084528339.jpgIMG_20200218_084428495.jpgIMG_20200218_084449556.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Carol 83 I thought of you while packing and posting these. We both feel the same about winters in the North.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've been enjoying following this tree's progress. From near death in 2016 to this very healthy looking tree now.

Mark, I have been thinking about the lack of apex, the bolt upright trunk, then the abrupt flattened out branch structure. It looks awkward. I know you feel that from your comments.

What about possibly changing the angle of the trunk. Tilt the trunk to maybe 60 degrees off horizontal, instead of the current 90 degrees. Maybe even go 45 degrees off the perfect 90 degree angle. Then one of the branches could become the next segment of the trunk. It would require eliminating some of the other branches, but it would give you a trunk line? Consider this for the next time you repot.

It is just something I would consider, you don't need to follow this idea, just kick it around.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How has the chop healed? I've noticed some azaleas heal a lot faster than others, curious on the Ramapo cultivar. Looking forward to growing out my cuttings.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks awkward. I know you feel that from your comments.

What about possibly changing the angle of the trunk. Tilt the trunk to maybe 60 degrees off horizontal, instead of the current 90 degrees. Maybe even go 45 degrees off the perfect 90 degree angle. Then one of the branches could become the next segment of the trunk. It would require eliminating some of the other branches, but it would give you a trunk line? Consider this for the next time you repot.
Thanks for the idea Leo. I did just repot but will kick this around when I stare at my trees for too long as I always do. Not really crazy about that pot either but... I have some branches growing up for an apex but not really in the proper position. I've not considered this Idea.

How has the chop healed? I've noticed some azaleas heal a lot faster than others, curious on the Ramapo cultivar. Looking forward to growing out my cuttings.
Almost not at all. Most of these cuts are 5yrs old and look like they did then. I sealed with wood clue. My White cascade Azalea has healed much better.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Almost not at all. Most of these cuts are 5yrs old and look like they did then. I sealed with wood clue. My White cascade Azalea has healed much better.

That's a shame. Then it seems as Ramapo cultivar doesn't really heal over cuts then. I will have to take that into consideration with my cuttings now that I know that.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a look under the hood. This back is dead and has been. Obviously those big cuts couldn't heal because of that but even the smaller live branches removed don't heal well for me. I've read the orange paste for azalea. Might have to get some. My old glue bottle is getting lumpy.
IMG_20200430_095537491.jpgIMG_20200430_095556353.jpg
Kind of like the shiny car with rusted frame.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My dropped branch looks like it's suffering. Has been crazy hot and I may have let it get too dry but the rest of the tree looks okay and putting out a second flush. IMG_20210825_115457047.jpgIMG_20210825_115442099.jpg
It's still green under the bark. Time will tell.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had some wire on it months ago which may have been a factor but should have shown up before now.

For now I put it in the shade and paying more attention to it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We’ve Ramapos in the landscape here for years . These plants do resent extended periods of freezing…. and also heat coupled with full sun and are capable of tossing branches or just totally dying back if they don’t like the conditions. The same with drying out.

I notice the bark peeling on that lower branch. This could actually be freeze damage that is just showing up now with localized die back.

Oh yes, just in case you weren’t aware, these particular trees have a high severity poison contact danger. Please take precautions.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom