Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Pick up some of those cinder blocks and build your mamma a house
Wow man! who pissed in your punch? What do you have against this kid? Sure he's young but there are a couple of world renown masters out there that are pretty young. Did he question some of your pontification?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The way I look at it is Seth must know a little more than a lot of people. He is trusted with a collection of trees most would pay a lot to have.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The way I look at it is Seth must know a little more than a lot of people. He is trusted with a collection of trees most would pay a lot to have.

See man, I'm a nice guy as long as we can get along ;) Its nice not bickering with you or Vance. Seriously, glad that we aren't flaming each other every post anymore.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad I found this, as a reference from the day job post,,,,........

I can't believe this went on so long!

Excellent quotes Dav4.

Seth, it is a bit disgusting, but Maybe a trip to Texas to accomplish another goal!

I was only joking with my Day Job post,
But it seems like it is hard to tell a graft from a layer, and sand from slash, through the little opening in the wall, that Tx is looking through.

Green with Angvy!

Sorce

Alexpompano

Seedling
Reaction score
None list it with a cultivar epithet so all could be (have to assume they are) different dwarfs from different trees all the more reason for someone to do it the right way i.e., propagate a handful get them to some reputable nurserymen around the country. I noticed none that are on its own roots btw. No sense arguing about it.

I've bought a few plants from top tropicals over the years. I'll contact the guy see if I can get one.
I've had success with collecting normal pinus clausa with no graft they just need excessive drainage iv got them in pumice, akadama, lava rock, and a tiny bit of "organic matter" for mycorrhizal but pine bark should do fine also

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This kid happens to be the curator of the largest tropical collection of bonsai in the US, and I also work in a retail plant nursery. People would rather argue on forums than accept factual information, that's why I don't post often.

Hate to name drop, but do you know Rob Kempinski? Only reason I mention him is he has been my local go-to-guy for pine knowledge and happens to have received a lot of national merit. He is the most knowledgeable on pine species in Florida, in my opinion, and he is apart of my local bonsai club. I've worked with him on Slash, Sand and Black Pine at his home. He's one of the only guys I know that even has a Sand Pine in a bonsai pot. I also know of Rosemary Voelker having one, this photo being her tree.

11698697_867033590044653_8062318832007362644_n.jpg

Rob and I did not graft or air layer them, but we treat them the same as we treat Japanese Black Pine and other 2-flush pines. Techniques to layer and graft should be the same, because they are 2-flush and 2-needle pines. And like you said, anyone with little experience can graft with 90-100% success rate, so what makes you believe this is an newly discovered cultivar?

http://www.thenatives.net/The_Hermit/meet_Steve/meet_steve.html

http://www.thenatives.net/The_Hermi...-s_creations_2/Grafted_Pine_Explanation_2.jpg

I said, dwarf sand pines grown on their own roots are not often found, but not unavailable. Witches Broom appears from either fungal, viral, bacterial attacks, or a genetic mutation. I do not think the Sand Pine witches broom is genetic because it is too common of an occurrence. The species must be prone to something that is causing the dwarfism. I wouldn't even be surprised if would revert back to the normal growth habit over time the same way Ficus benjimina 'Too Little' does.
I have one too, a next to impossible collected one, and it’s in a pot. Hooray! I don’t know these people though because I’m an amateur. I’d like to buy a dwarf grafted one, that sounds nice.image.jpg…..

Top Bottom