Dwarf Tsukumo Cypress - First Pot or Wait - Ideas?

Alex W.

Sapling
Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

So I currently have this dwarf Tsukumo cypress that I'm unsure about what to do with. I am very new to this hobby and am seeking ideas for what my next step should be and what kind of potential this tree has. The tree is currently in a 4" pot and stands about 3.5" tall above soil. I have various 4"-6" pots that I was going to use for some shohin.

So what do you guys think? Like I said, I am very new and I have yet to come up with any ideas since my imagination is still developing with bonsai. Trim and place into one of my shohin pots? Place it in a larger nursery pot and let it grow larger for now? Or something else that I have not thought of?

I am open to ALL ideas!

full

full

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like these little guys and yours is cool imho. Can't go wrong, just depends on what sized "finished" tree ur looking for.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Watched this the other day....
Not bad.

Sorce

Alex W.

Sapling
Reaction score
Saw this video a couple weeks ago when doing research. Took it with a grain of salt since the information you find online varies incredibly. Thanks for the suggestion Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or something else that I have not thought of?

All of your thoughts and ideas will apply but not today. If you leave it in the pot it is in for a full year you will know if you will have a live tree of that type under your care ;) It will also give you a chance to see how it grows naturally and learn trimming/pruning techniques. I am certain it could be a very nice little plant but we all take steps before we run or jump!

Grimmy

Top Bottom